View Single Post
Old June 12th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Beginner

I was at all 3 of the ports on Carnival Freedom 3/2007 to 4/7/2007. As someone had stated you are told not to wear any expensive jewelry and BE VERY CAREFUL OF PICK POCKETS.
Istanbul is Beautiful, but an older gentleman on our ship was pick pocketed at the Mosque. You have to go to the Grand Bazaar. There's over 4,000 shops there.
They do expect you to bargain with them in Rome, Turkey and Greece.
We went to Izmir, Turkey and found I was very uncomfortable there. The men there hawk you and didn't leave us alone. We just walked off the ship to look around because all of the excrusions were booked. We didn't go too far away from the ship, took some pictures and went back on the ship.
Just to let you know you would be wise to purchase Euros. They don't take Discover card. They do take Visa and Mastercard. They do take USD, but remember the USD isn't worth much over there unfortunately for us.
I did find most of the people were friendly, but pushy in some of the stores, especially the Turkish Carpet stores !!!!
We're going back on January 16, 2008 on Costa Concordia and we're hoping to see a lot of the things we missed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I will try to help you.
If and when you go....Have a Great time...
Sandy P