View Single Post
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
I know it is just me, but while I am comfortable doing many things alone, going to Disneyland or on any cruise is not really one of them. Especially a Disney cruise. Maybe it is different for a woman because strangers will be more likely to talk to you, but a man sailing solo on a Disney cruise just because "he likes cruising" would looked upon pretty suspiciously, in my opinion.

I know I once took a solo cruise on a major "premium" cruise line (not Carnival, NCL or Royal Caribbean) and hence not a lot of singles were on board, and I did not enjoy it much at all. No one really wanted to talk to me. The few singles there were were not my age.

To me cruising is better when you have someone to share it with. Get a roommate and share a cabin & save money. Or if you are going to pay the singles supplement anyway - then take a friend! A free cruise, who wouldn't want one?
I cruise solo almost exclusively. I would not do a disney cruise because of all the children and children-oriented family groups. Even if there are single parents aboard to hang out with, the schedule would be worked around children and their doings. Not my idea of fun.

I have never done Disney World solo but have known some people who have and they loved it. Hmmmm, I may have to look into going one day for a short visit.

As far as cruising solo in general, I would say if you are going for fun and interaction with other passengers, any cruiseline but Carnival is a crapshoot. I did a NCL America to Hawaii solo and felt out of place a lot. Something that I never felt before. I did a RCCL cruise with my ex-hubby and saw that the one or two solos on the ship were isolated a lot of the time. On Carnival most of their activities are designed for major interaction among the passengers which means that solo cruisers do not stick out and are just one of a crowd.

Cruising solo and cruising with other people are two totally different vacation experiences.

If you are not extroverted or are looking to a quiet relaxing vacation, cruising solo can be very isolating. If you are up for non-stop fun and adventure, cruising solo is the ultimate in self-indulgence.

Happy Cruzin' and good luck.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)