View Single Post
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Jim,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Thank you very much and I would love to have dinner with you sometime.
The funny part of this whole thing is that I always comform to the dress code. What I was trying to point out is that some people do not really like to dress up and I think that is their right without some pompous ass looking down on them or belittling them. After all we go on cruises for a vacation and spend good money to do so and we should be allowed to do what we want to do. Another thing that bothers me is that Norm by his own admission does not cruise with Princess any more so why does he try to pass himself off as an expert on almost every topic on the Princess thread?
It is absolutely your right to book on a cruise line that has whatever standards of dress you choose. There are several lines, including Azamara Cruises, Disney Cruises, and Oceania Cruises, that offer "all casual" cruises (no "formal," "semiformal," or "informal" evenings at all) for those who don't want to dress up, and I can guarantee that those line will grow quickly more lines will move in that direction if there's sufficient demand.

It is absolutely NOT your right, or anybody else's right, to "crash" an event in attire other than that prescribed by the cruise line. Rather, it's the cruise line's right (and also its duty, at least from a legal perspective) to enforce its advertised standards of dress.

Yes, I said legal duty! Basically, a cruise line which advertises that a cruise includes two "formal" evenings has a legal obligation to deliver two "formal" evenings, with the ambiance that one expects on a "formal" evening. There's no doubt that the dress of the participants is a major factor in setting the ambiance for a social event, so people who "crash" an event wearing inappropriate attire detract from the advertised ambiance for which others have paid. Thus, failure to enforce prescribed dress standards makes the advertisement of "formal' evenings false. Those who expect true "formal" evenings based upon the company's advertisement thereof, therefore, can hold the company liable for false advertising in civil court. The likely penalty would be at least a refund of the whole cost of the cruise vacation, and triple damages are a clear possibility.

Norm.