View Single Post
Old June 21st, 2007, 03:10 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
It also depends on what kind of booze you are buying. Be sure and double check prices at home and on board the ship before buying in ports. Used to be you could get really low prices, but most ports are now after more of your money. Also, keep in mind what the customs limitations are. While they will sometimes let you through if you are over the allotment, but it is just for your own enjoyment, but they can and sometimes do, slap you with a customs fee when you debark to go home. That can end up making those bottles really expensive!
Marty
Cruised May 07 coming into Miami,customs fee was to be 1% to 4% tax based on the % of alchol in the bottle I had 6 bottles over the limit I hand carried it thur customs and the never looked or asked for anything I brought back,we walked right off boat and paid no taxes,was I luckly who knows.Liquor is high dollar in Alabama,the state runs the stores so the cost of stuff here is super high.Im like a kid in a candy store while on vacation,I was ready to pay the tax and walked right on by.Im going in Oct this year and plan to do the same,I plane on bringing more home this time due to driving and not flying home. Just check your prices before you go,check price on boat and ask the cruise shopping lady on the boat which is the best port to buy at and what is the duty tax if you go over the limit,remeber they may get you tax wise they may not like what happened with me.