View Single Post
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:48 PM
Yeoman

Hi Pat, I did learn some new things about travel insurance that I didn't know. Plus I learned that Celebrity cruise line will charge a $100. cancellation fee if you cancel after 85 days. Most cruiselines will give you a full refund before 70 days. They don't charge a cancellation fee.
I also learned that some insurance companies refund your cruise money if you "CANCEL FOR ANY REASON" which means you changed your mind.

These are my ideas about travel cruise insurance:

Insurance can cost from $30. on up for a cruise. Some agents will pay for your cruise insurance if you book with them. I have done that sometimes.

It is best to "WAIT" until you make full purchase of your cruise because if you change your mind about cruising..... the insurance company will not refund your paid insurance money. I have cancelled cruises several times and had my cruise deposit refunded because I cancelled before the ship's deadline date and I got a full refund.

Another time.... I changed my mind about a certain cruise date but I had already paid $84.00 for travel insurance when I made my deposit that was non-refundable. I was lucky that I was able to call the insurance company and asked them if I could move my insurance money to another date on that same ship and they approved it. "WHEW". Maybe some travel companies don't do that type of deal so I got lucky.

For many years I never bought travel insurance and I never had a problem. But after 9/11 one of my work friends had paid $3,000. for travel to the middle east. She had not bought travel insurance and she chose not to travel because of the fear in her heart.... so she lost the money. The singles group land trip was successful and they all came home safe.
Right after 9/11 many people were afraid to fly to the cruise ports so they lost their money because they didn't buy cancellation insurance.

I decided to start buying travel insurance because my parents are very old and one of them could die anytime so I make sure I buy insurance where I can cancel out in case one of my parents' gets ill or dies.

Then...... I started to notice that some people young and old get into accidents in the ports. I decided to start buying medical insurance since my Blue Shield Medical insurance doesn't pay if I leave the country or go on a cruise ship. I also started thinking about "WHAT IF"? What if I should get ill all of a sudden and I need to be flown home? So now I make sure the insurance covers me for that possible problem.

SOME PEOPLE SAY THAT IF YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF GETTING INTO AN ACCIDENT OR GET ILL.... IT WILL NOT HAPPEN.
I think those are the people who put their heads in the sand and think that nothing will happen to them if don't dwell on it. 'DUH"!

In Jan.07, I cruised with a singles group and there was this man that fell in port and fractured his leg. He had surgery in Mexico and came back in time to complete his cruise. Meanwhile, he was wondering how he was going to be able to fly home with a cast on his whole leg. How would he sit in an airline seat? That was his question when I was talking to him.
HE DIDN'T EXPECT TO GET INTO AN ACCIDENT. BUT.... he had full travel coverage insurance. "Whew".

This is something else I have noticed with SINGLES cruising. All of a sudden they say they can't cruise because they have to work or... they are having some home family problems. They decide to stay home instead.
I think those people should buy "Cancel for any Reason" insurance.
I have heard that some singles just walk away at the last minute and don't seem to care that they have lost their cruise money. Cruise ships never return money at the last minute. That has been my experience in noticing the importance of buying insurance. My attitude is to buy insurance to have peace of mind and if I don't need to use the insurance it is even better because I come home healthy and safe. Angelgal