View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianeisme313
Now lets talk about flip flops. I saw some ladies dress very nicely and had nice flip flops. ha, just been home a week now from our Alaska inner passage cruise.
No matter how nice the Lido is, it's still buffet. Also, the times for casual dining are very limited ... so that doesn't work for some people.

Again, I'm not saying people should ever come to the dining room dressed in beachware ... shorts, tanktops, flip flops, etc. ... but they shouldn't be required to dress to the nines either. That's just my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

And I honestly think the cruise lines will change dress codes over the next year or so, eliminating formal nights, if for no other reason that the strict airline baggage rules in force today ... rules that will probably get ever tighter for coach passengers.

Yep, the times ... they are a'changin ... and I guess we just have to roll with them. We really have no other choice if we want to cruise. Just read the home page of this site today. Another cruise line has just eliminated smoking in cabins. Still another has tightened their onboard smoking policies. You think I'm happy about that? I'm a smoker. But if I want to continue cruising, I have to accept that society is changing in regard to their tolerance of smokers. Do I like it? Heck no. But if I want to cruise, I'm gonna find myself dealing with stricter and stricter onboard smoking policies ... and there's not a darned thing I can do about it. Same with dining. The majority will rule. The majority is demanding a flexible dining option ... this As You Wish Dining. They got it. Perhaps someday, if the numbers work out, HAL will eliminate traditional dining altogether. If the majority of people are noting on their comment cards that they don't like the mandatory formal nights, at some point HAL will eliminate those as well. It's all about pleasing their customers and bringing them back again and again.

We'll just have to wait and see how the majority weigh in on this issue.

Blue skies ...

--rita