View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Hi Samantha:

Wow, knew Catalina would be cold, but expected the vis to be a bit higher.

My tween kiddo and I do plenty of short cruises and hops from Texas and have covered much of the Caribbean and been down to Cozumel a few tiimes this year. There is a scout camp on Catalina which offers scuba, which is why I am interested in checking the island out. Thanks about the tip on La Jolla dives.

Divers are a small minority on most cruises since as a group we tend to do more specialized dive trips. That said, lines like Carnival which appeal to younger demographics, tend to carry more divers.

Have fun diving Catalina later this month. This life guard will be at work on the Nueces River near Uvalde that weekend watching over a few dozen scouts.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha
Hi Divemaster!
Catalina...2 words....cold....low visibility. Average temp about 58, average visibility, about 10 ft. I have a drysuit. Why do I dive it? Because it is there. Actually, it is the only place I have seen blue/green starfish with mother of pearl looking bumps....incredibly beautiful! I booked a dive boat for Catalina 9/22. This time I'm taking my camera! Aren't most of the short cruises with great dive spots out of Texas and Florida? If you go on the trip and can find the time, diving La Jolla cove in San Diego the day before, or the morning of boarding is recommended. Do you think the others on this site think we should be chatting on a dive forum?
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas