Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2000, 06:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cruise to Alaska

My husband & I & our teen are looking into a cruise to Alaska next July - our first. This many sound insinificant, but husband & daughter are concerned that the pools on the ship won't be operating because it's cold up there - and they also heard that if pools do operate, they close at 7:00 pm and they like to swim in the evening. Can anyone tell us something about this?

Thanks for any help!

Mary
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2000, 03:09 PM
cattman

Default RE: Cruise to Alaska

No worries... summer in Alaska usually means rain interrupted by 70-80 degree weather... even when there's rain, the pools(at least on Princess)
are heated to bathwater temp. And you can swim any time of day.
See the "Kuki On Ice" photo essay on this site...
Old August 24th, 2000, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Mary,

For the "pool people" be sure to book on one of the ships with a Magadrome pool. That is, they have retractable roofs above normally one of their two swimming pools.
They're the perfect answer for swimming in Alaska.

RCI has the magadromes but the pools still close early in Alaska. Princess has pools open late in the Caribb. I imagine the same holds true for Alaska.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old August 25th, 2000, 09:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Holland America has covered pools, and I don't recall them closing early, I doubt that there are any restrictions until after 10:00, it's light til then outside in Alaska! You will have a great time and so will your teen. Even on HAL, which generally caters to an older crowd, there are usually lots of kids on the summer cruises, including Alaska. Looked to me like the kids had a blast the last two times I went to Alaska! Nice thing about a cruise, is that they can pal up with a new friend and be somewhat independent in a somewhat protected environment. I saw lots of teens at the movies or in the game room at night without their parents, but always in a group.Have fun planning your trip.
Old August 29th, 2000, 12:08 AM
Karl

Mary,

My wife and I cruised Alaska this past July on HAL's ms Statendam. All of their Statendam-class ships have pools with retractable roofs. On our week, the pools were open every day... even on the few rainy days. On the rainy days they retracted the pool roof just one section; on the sunny days they retracted the roof for all sections. We never used the pools at night, but I remember walking past one of the pools around midnight and it was closed.

There were a few dozen teens on our cruise, and they all seemed to be having a great time, whether in small groups or en masse. Your teen will have a good time.

Enjoy planning your cruise. You'll LOVE Alaska.

...Karl
Old September 2nd, 2000, 12:11 PM
Passenger

I am in the same situation you are. If you find out that info, I would appreciate you letting me know. Thanks alot! Good luck.
Old September 29th, 2000, 09:07 PM
Passenger

We were on the Celebrity Galaxy last summer. My son's group of teens swam every day. The weather was cool but wonderful, and there was an indoor pool. I think the outdoor pool was heated as well. We're going back next summer on the Carnival Spirit. Can't wait. If you have any questions, email me at schube@fais.net. You'll love Alaska.
Old November 12th, 2000, 01:27 AM
First Mate

My son and I sat in the spa while in the sleet at Hubbard Glacier. The wind was blowing very hard and the sleet was hitting our faces. Although it hurt we laughed ourselves silly. What a great experience.
Old January 9th, 2001, 02:28 AM
Captain Bob

It sounds as if you have experienced the big cruise ship. Perhaps you might want to experience the real Alaska on ---www.alaskanwcharters.com

It is a totally different experience

Best to you and your plans.

Captain Bob
Old January 9th, 2001, 03:31 AM
Captain Bob

If you want whales we have 8 feeding here---we are the alternative small cruise

<http://www.alaskanwcharters.com>