Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2000, 10:09 PM
Dawn Stefano

Default When To Go?

Here's that age old question for those of you who've sailed in Alaska .... when is the best time to go?

From a cost standpoint, May and September look good, but I'd like to know when is the best time to see the sights, experience less rain and pleasant temperatures, see the most interesting flora and fauna, etc.

Any opinions out there?

Dawn
Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2000, 12:22 AM
Passenger

Default RE: When To Go?

According to various books with weather reports May has less rain than June, July, August and September in that order. We are going to Alaska next May so I'll find out how true it is.
Old September 7th, 2000, 09:59 AM
Captain

My wife and I went in May and had nothing but sunshine, however locals said that was rare. It is supposed to be drier in May than the rest of the months. In May you will see many more waterfalls because the snow is still really melting but there will not be as much wildlife. There will be wildlife just not as much.
Old September 7th, 2000, 03:53 PM
Jana

I traveled in May 2 years ago and had very little rain, but a friend went May last year and had rain every day. I went September last year and it drizzled every day. I plan on going May next year. Good luck.
Old September 7th, 2000, 08:19 PM
Holly

June July and August are Prime Alaska season, although the end of May beginning of June there can be fly sesaon, even still thats not a bad time.
Old September 8th, 2000, 06:27 AM
Judith

I am taking a group of single travellers on September 3, 2001. As a travel agent, I researched all the pros and cons of departure dates etc.... who can honestly predict the weather these days?... but we decided on this date and could have honestly chosen any. If you'd like to join us email me for details. Whenever you go - I can't believe it will be the WRONG time! Regards,
Old September 9th, 2000, 09:16 PM
Beth Yadsko

My husband and I were on the Rhapsody of the Seas from August 19-26, 2000. We had a great time, despite the disappointing weather. It rained every single day. We saw the sun only once, as we were leaving Hubbard Glacier. It really poured when we were in Juneau and Ketchikan, and just drizzled in Haines and Skagway. We learned to carry rain ponchos in every port, to wear over our light jackets when the rain really came down. Several of the helicopter and floatplane excursions were cancelled due to the bad weather. The temperature was usually around 55 degrees, and it was cloudy and chilly. The outdoor pool was rarely used, and the lounge chairs were almost always wet. The indoor pools and hot tubs were busy, though. After taking three Caribbean cruises, this was a very different experience. No sunbathing on this one! I laugh now, because I packed a few sundresses -- thank goodness I had jackets and sweaters to wear over them! I should have packed my fall clothes instead (we're from Maryland). But, the ship was wonderful, our fellow passengers were fun, the meals and service were great, and there were plenty of indoor activities on the schedule. We really enjoyed the Mendenhall Glacier and White Pass Railway excursions. The scenery was amazing everywhere. You'll love Alaska. Have fun!
Old September 17th, 2000, 09:01 AM
Admiral

I have to disagree. September is not an ideal time to tour Alaska. Expect at least 3 days of rain- cool temps 40-50's and short days - dark by 7 pm. May is a much better choice. Long days- dryer weather. I take my 9th trip Wed. 9-20-00 and my favorite time to go is mid to late August- best wildlife viewing, light until 9pm, lower rates. First time travelers are at a distinct disadvantage going in Sept.
Old September 27th, 2000, 02:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

September is not the month! we are in our fall season and it is chilly and rainy, plus it is getting dark around 8pm. Aug is the rainy month stay away!!! June and July is great!!! May still snow on the ground and things have not started yet in full swing for the tour season. Also chilly!!!
Old October 25th, 2000, 12:54 PM
Aggie

Two years ago I cruised to Alaska in mid-May and the weather was glorious. Although we were told repeatedly, that the weather was unusual. I just returned fro another cruise to Alaska the last week of Sept. It was cloudy and we had a few drizzles, but nothing to put a damper on my trip. I would go, again, either time. Infact, I am going back next summer. Haven't decided on a date, though. Have fun. You will love Alaska, no matter what the weather!