Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2000, 03:03 PM
Fiona Mackay

Default First cruise

My husband and I will be travelling (from Scotland) to Vancouver to cruise the Inside pasage during May 2001. (departing 25th May).

We will be sailing on the Celebrity Infinity (- ship not yet completed but similar to the Millenium).

It will be our first cruise and we are looking forward to it immensely. Any information regarding Celebrity Cruises/ Alaska and tips for first timers would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2000, 02:16 PM
Passenger

Default RE: First cruise

Cruising on Sea Prnicess May 28th to Alaska. First time that area. As you have not had any responses on this board, you might try www.cruise2.com. That board is not broken down by area nor ship, but anyone can post and you can get lots of insight in general and can ask specifics too. Good luck, Dick
Old November 8th, 2000, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Fiona Mackay wrote:
>
> My husband and I will be travelling (from Scotland) to
> Vancouver to cruise the Inside pasage during May 2001.
> (departing 25th May).
>
> We will be sailing on the Celebrity Infinity (- ship not yet
> completed but similar to the Millenium).
>
> It will be our first cruise and we are looking forward to it
> immensely. Any information regarding Celebrity Cruises/ Alaska
> and tips for first timers would be appreciated.

Fiona,
Alaska is an awesome experience! Think everyone should do it at least once.
I was just on the Millennium, and since Infinity will be a sister ship, I can assure you the ship will be fantastic.
And I know Jim Cannon, the Cruise Director from the Millennium will be going back to Europe to bring Infinity over, and sail her on the Alaska itinerary. He is truly one of the most sincere and friendly cruise directors I've had the pleasure to sail with.
All in all I'd say you've booked a wonderful cruise!
I highly recommend doing a helicopter tour, landing on a glacier while you're up there. We did the combination helicopter tour, and dog sledding. Great fun, and quite breathtaking!!
Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old November 12th, 2000, 01:18 AM
First Mate

My son and I were on the Mercury in August and did the southbound cruise. I have a write-up with pictures of our shore excursions. Not all servers will allow you to see the pics but if you are on AOL I would be glad to send it to you.

Judy ViolaSwmp@Aol.com
Old November 16th, 2000, 05:56 PM
Syd

Judy I would be interested in seeing you pictures and story. Please send. We are going to Alaska in June on the Carnival Spirit and we are trying to get all the info we can. How did you pack, winter, summer, spring? Please send we a reply.

Syd.
Old December 18th, 2000, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Packing for a cruise to Alaska is very different than for the Caribbean. For a jacket, I highly recommend a short polartec lined jacket (Lands End is great) and don't forget a pair of gloves and hat or head band for glacier bay cruising or walking on a glacier. Daytime jeans or slacks with turtle necks, sweatshirt or sweater (layering) is best. For shoes, we choose thick rubber soled shoes or walking style sneakers. If your new ship has an indoor pool, don't forget your swim suit, too. Ship board attire is very similar for the cruise; casual daywear and appropriate evening attire. My husband and at least 50% of the other men wore tuxes on formal night. If he rents it from the ship, he won't have to carry it in your luggage! Don't forget to bring plenty of film.
Old February 13th, 2001, 02:00 AM
snshine

Default Re: First cruise

My wife and I will also be on the 25th sailing of the Infinity. Celebrity does an outstanding job and we're looking forward to our upcoming cruise. Hope to see you
on the cruise.