Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2001, 02:33 PM
Erin Erkun

Default To Balcony or Not

We will be going on an Alaska Cruise mid-June/early July on Princess -- this will be our first trip to Alaska and we were wondering whether it was worth paying the extra cost for a cabin with a balcony, or whether we should just stick with an outside cabin with the large window. Any insight on port or starboard cabin locations would also be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2001, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default RE: To Balcony or Not

If the budet will allow it, go for the balcony cabin!! A balcony cabin is always a treat, but I think certain itineraries it can truly enhance the cruise. Alaska is one of these.
Nothing quite like spotting whales from the balcony, or watching the glaciers calve.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old January 9th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Captain

I have sailed Alaska before and would agree if you can afford a balcony it would be worth it.
Old January 9th, 2001, 08:48 PM
LEtue

The balcony cabins on Princess during the timeframe you're considering are priced less than the standard outside cabins. I've had 2 price reductions on our Dawn Princess 6/30 sailing....

Have your TA check availability for you.
Old January 14th, 2001, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: To Balcony or Not

I go with the cheapist cabin I can get since I want to see it all from a full front viewing deck. My first trip I did opt for a costly outside and was totally unsatified with only 50% of the views.
Old January 18th, 2001, 07:03 AM
Admiral

You'll probably only visit Alaska once in your life -- spring for the balcony! It's just wonderful, a big enhancement to your experience.
Old January 18th, 2001, 06:51 PM
hockeymom

We had an outside cabin with a large window on Mercury last August. My son loved the fact that he could see out the window from his pull down bed. Coming into port in the mornings was great. However - all the rest of the time we were up on deck getting a much better view of everything. I can't imagine sitting on the balcony when the view is much bigger. Not too many people utilized their balconies except for maybe morning coffee or cocktails before dinner.
Old January 21st, 2001, 04:36 PM
robert boucel

If you intend to cruise every year, you wont need a balconey= You will see more from the deck. You even may be come back a second time. You will love it.
Old February 26th, 2001, 06:57 PM
Passenger

WE HAVE BEEN ON TWO ALASKA CRUISES BOTH WITH PRINCESS.
WE HAVE NOT MISSED A BALCONY. EVEN IN JUNE THE WEATHER IS USUALLY COOL AND STAYING OUT FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME WOULD BE TOO CHILLY. I ALWAYS FOUND A BETTER USE FOR THE EXTRA MONEY WOULD BE ON THE SHORE EXCURSIONS. THE COMMON AREAS ARE NOT CROWDED SO YOU REALLY DO SEE EVERYTHING. I FOUND IT QUITE WONDERFUL TO STAND OR SIT UP ON DECK AND WATCH THE GLACIERS CALVING WHILE THE NATURALISTS WOULD ALERT US TO WHAT WE WERE ACTUALLY SEEING. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR UPCOMING ADVENTURE.