Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2001, 05:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Economical to do your own transfer for Alaska?

I have found that in Florida and San Juan it is cheaper and just as easy to do my own transfer.

If we do an Alaskan cruise (either northbound or southbound), is it just as easy to do our own transfers?

I think it would be in Vancouver, I'm not sure about Anchorage/Seward.

Princess quotes $73/pp for transfers, and there would be 3 of us.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2001, 07:27 PM
Shar

Default Re: Economical to do your own transfer for Alaska?

Hi Terri!
I'm assuming you mean $73 each for the transfers? Other than the train or a rental car, you don't have a lot of choices to get to Seward. A one way rental car (with drop-off charges) will run you over $125 plus gas (that's around $1 a mile!). The Alaskan Railroad prices are available on the web or you can take Princess' Grandview train. IMHO If you're flying in the day of your cruise, you really should consider the stress level of "hoping" to get to the ship on time. A lot can happen on a 3 hour drive through the mountains.
Shar
Old March 26th, 2001, 10:15 AM
aerotd

Are you talking about the transfer from Seattle airport to Vancouover? If so, YES, it is much cheaper to do it yourself than use the princess transfer. We are using QuickShuttle which runs from Seattle to Vancouver several times a day and was MUCH cheaper than the Princess shuttle bus. I think Princess quoted us about $75 per person (there are 8 of us, 1 child, 1 senior). The shuttle is about $40 each for adults, $30 for senoir and $20 for the child. You can find more info on their web page. I don't have the address but if you search for QuickShuttle on any search engine you will find it. GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!
Old March 26th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Admiral

I always do my own transfers and usually drive. Exactly what transfers do you need the information for?
Old March 26th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Admiral

I don't agree that a car rental Seward- Anchorage in not a good option based on price. This highway has the distinction of being the most scenic in the US. I have always driven except for a train trip once. There are so many places to stop even briefly that the cost is well worth it in my opinion. It also offers more options in Anchorage rather than hanging around the airport. Seward Highway is only one road so I am not sure about the stress level driving through the mountains????? HOWEVER I never recommend coming into or out of Anchorage without at least 4 days of interior touring. Shar wrote:
>
> Hi Terri!
> I'm assuming you mean $73 each for the transfers? Other than
> the train or a rental car, you don't have a lot of choices to
> get to Seward. A one way rental car (with drop-off charges)
> will run you over $125 plus gas (that's around $1 a mile!).
> The Alaskan Railroad prices are available on the web or you
> can take Princess' Grandview train. IMHO If you're flying in
> the day of your cruise, you really should consider the stress
> level of "hoping" to get to the ship on time. A lot can
> happen on a 3 hour drive through the mountains.
> Shar
Old March 26th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Shar

Karen,
I agree that the Seward highway is well worth the drive, I'm even looking to buy a home there! I believe the subject was cost and Princess' bus ride to Seward is a relatively good deal.
The stress level I mentioned relates to highway construction and potential bad weather that cause delays.
Shar
Old March 28th, 2001, 08:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm the original poster. At this point, I'm going to put a deposit on the northbound cruise, starting in Vancouver, and ending in Seward. Instead of paying $73/pp for each of the 3 of us for transfers by Princess, I know it's easy to get from Vancouver airport to a hotel and from a hotel to the pier.

Now that I've read the notes, I think it would be best if we tried to get a one-way rental car at the other end for the Seward to Anchorage drive so we can enjoy the scenary.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old March 28th, 2001, 09:00 PM
Passenger

We are doing the southbound route and are using the transfers from Celebrity. Their air was cheaper even paying the deviation so that we know now what our flights are. When you use their air the transfers are included. I researched this thoughly and the cost was really high doing a car one way. I believe only Hertz in in Seward so your options are limited. Hope this helps. Catherine
Old April 10th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

We fly into Vancouver on 6/16 & did NOT take the Princess transfers, we will just take a taxi to our hotel downtown on Robson Street. We will take a taxi to the ship on 6/18. And in Seward we are renting a van for our 1 1/2 days we have in Anchorage before we fly out on the 26th. Have a great time! Jo --Saved us $73 person times 5 people--
Old April 11th, 2001, 09:26 PM
Harry Bell

We are fling in a day early and taking the Amtrak Cascades Special to Vancouver $20 US. I have been told this is very worthwhile.

Beware that Princess will try to get every last dollar from you and it is always cheaper if you can arrainge it yourself.
Old May 9th, 2001, 03:14 PM
First Mate

You're better offer to take Princess transfers. That way you're assured you'll reach the ship on time in modern motorcoaches. Takes the stress out of travelling.
Old May 9th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are going to visit Vancouver for a day before, so we are saving by not using Princess for a transfer. Plus, Vancouver is also an easy city to get around in. I have visited Vancouver since writing the original post :-)

So far in most places, it seems just as easy and cheaper to do them yourself. EXCEPT for Houston, TX. It is an hour to the port and I did use the NCL bus transfer there.