Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2001, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Default My Alaska packing list

Since weather is so unpredictable in Alaska -- it can be warm and sunny or cold and rainy -- I take clothing I can layer. For a one-week cruise, I take two cotton sweaters to put over a T-shirt, four pairs of daytime pants, polo/T-shirts, two pairs of shorts, jogging/hiking shoes, water-proof poncho with hood (very important!). Binoculars and insect repellant (Skin So Soft, by Avon), if traveling in July/August. For the two formal nights, I take a black silk pants suit with camisole and jewelry. Pants can then be used the second formal night, with a flowing tunic. Just one pair of black evening shoes for formal, flats for casual nights. Oh, and a framed photo of my dog, Mr. Ying

I have yet to make a cruise where I haven't forgotten something (a hair brush, alarm clock), but I'm making progress!
Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2001, 10:50 PM
Mr BowWow

Default Re: My Alaska packing list

Anne: On a recent trip to Paris, the real Mr BowWow in our house removed all my socks from the suitcase prior to our closing the cases. I wonder if you ever had any similar problems from Mr Ying. Also, don't you wish you could bring Mr Ying along for the cruise?
Old April 5th, 2001, 08:00 AM
babylene

Anne, would you take a balcony for an Alaska cruise in early May? Thanks
Old April 5th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Joanne Ryan

Thanks for the info Anne.

Babylene, I'm going on my first ever cruise, Inner Passage to Alaska on Vision of the Seas on 8/19. We have a Category D cabin with a balcony and really looking forward to it.

Anne -- think we'll need heavier clothes for August 19?
Old April 5th, 2001, 07:43 PM
First Mate

Anne-
Trying to decide what to wear in the evenings is really tough. I am used to the Caribbean and wear lots of sleeveless summer dresses with wraps on casual nights. Guess that won't work in Alaska. Both of the formals I am taking are long, sleeveless gowns - I have lightweight wraps for both or I can wear a mink stole. Will this be too much? I am having the hardest time getting my packing list together for this trip. I plan on casual docker type pants with cotton sweaters for casual. I have the daytime clothes figured out. Also we are sailing in mid June and will have 2 nights in Seattle and 1 in Vancouver - what to wear to a nice dinner - sleeveless summer dresses with wraps?
We are sailing on Radiance - made the final deposit call today!! Can't wait!!!
Kathy G
Old April 6th, 2001, 06:25 PM
Passenger

Hi Kathy,
I live near Seattle and will soon be taking my second Alaska cruise during the month of May. Re: evening wear, my gowns are also sleeveless so I take an elegant sweater or scarf-type shawl just to put over my shoulders while on board ship. The dining room is generally house-temperature so I doubt you'll be uncomfortable. While in Seattle and Vancouver a lightweight jacket or wrap would be advisable because you'll probably be outside for a brief period before entering the restaurant. Your mink stole would not be necessary and would be a bit out-of-place here.
Hope you enjoy your cruise and visiting our beautiful Northwest!
Old April 6th, 2001, 07:54 PM
First Mate

Thanks Kay-
I really didn't want to bring it but I froze just about every night in the Caribbean in Dec in the dining room. I have nice shawl wraps for each of the dresses but wondered if I needed something warmer. One less thing to pack!
Old May 11th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Passenger

Does the regular original skin-so-soft work or do you have to get the bug guard skin-so-soft.