Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2001, 08:01 PM
M.

Default Northern Lights?

I am going on a cruise to Alaska. Actually, my first time there. It is possible to see the northern lights? We are going in September. Where do you see the northern lights? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2001, 11:13 PM
Diana in AZ

Default Re: Northern Lights?

I was excited about this on my Alaska cruise in 99. Alas, you will be lucky to see darkness! Our first night out of Seward there wasn't any night at all! According to a good friend of mine who grew up in Alaska, the northern lights are more of a winter show. (I suppose it has to be dark to see the lights in the sky) Of course we went in May, so maybe in September you'll have a better chance.
Have fun!
Old April 8th, 2001, 08:35 AM
eeinusa

I may be wrong about this, and if so, I would appreciate clarification from someone who knows for sure, but from what I have read, unless you go into Interior Alaska (Fairbanks or north of the Arctic Circle) I don't think you can see the Aurora Borealis. In any event, unless it's dark outside I don't think it's possible to see the lights anyway.
Old April 8th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Susan Milne

Good that you are going in September. That's the best time to POSSIBLY see them, when the days and nights are more equal in length. Of course it depends on conditions. I remember reading a report from a passenger who saw them last September from the deck of their ship. I didn't see them when I was there in mid September unfortunately. It was cloudy and rainy that week.
Old April 9th, 2001, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Not likely to be seen. You need dark nights and no clouds. Be out on deck 2-4 am for any sightings, perhaps you could see if the pursers desk will call you if they are sighted? Depending on when in Sept you are going it is not an ideal time. Keep checking independently for price reductions which have been heavy in the past few years. I take my second yearly Alaska trip then for the rock bottom rates, I have not paid more than $500, but it is indeed a trade off compared to May- Aug sailing.
Old April 12th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Shar

Hi!
I just got word from reliable sources that those of us in California may be able to see the aurora tonight as far south as San Diego. Check out this web page for a "heads-up" on your own potential for seeing it. The solar flares are real heavy right now. If you have a clear sky, try right after dark tonight!

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/SWN/index.html
Old April 19th, 2001, 05:10 PM
Carole Dunham

This is a great year for northern lights viewing. I grew up in Illinois and when we went to Wisconsin we could sometimes see the aurora, really a spectacular sight.

Carole