Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2001, 06:51 PM
Clay

Default Drive - Anchorage to Seward

We are planning on doing the drive from Anchorage to Seward on our own, is there anything to see on the trip? Any stops to make, and is it about a 3-hour drive as I have heard?

Thanks in advance,
Clay
Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2001, 07:09 PM
Shar

Default Re: Drive - Anchorage to Seward

Hi Clay!
Even though the Seward Highway is approximately 3 hours from Anchorage to Seward, it's so spectacular that the trip is over way too fast. There are plenty of turn-offs to pull over and shoot photos while you are going around Turnagain Arm. Watch for whales! You'll pass the turn off for Girdwood, which is a ski resort. It has a tram lift which will give you a great view of Turnagain Arm. Other places to check out are Portage Glacier, the Wild Animal preserve, several bird watching areas, and Exit Glacier.

Check out this url: http://www.akohwy.com/s/sewarhwy.htm

Enjoy this little portion of the Great Land!

Shar
Old April 26th, 2001, 07:32 PM
Admiral

For a necessary reference pick up a copy of The Milepost. Will give you all your information for traveling. Plenty to see on the 120 miles. Beluga whales were around Turnagain Arm for about 2 weeks daily last August, but are not seen real often normally. Orcas possible as well. Stop at Portage Glacier Visitor center and if not taking the boat ride, go past the center though the tunnel, will be icebergs and a peek at the glacier. Continue south and make all the stops that interest you, the tram at Girdwood is very scenic. At Exit Glacier consider hiking - the closest you will likely get to any glacier if not taking any flights. Be sure to book your car now as I have heard a lot of horror stories of rates in the $200+ range. I always rent a cheap RT Anchorage car then turn that in when I go south one way. Saves a boatload of money is catching a cruise out of Seward. Happy travels. I know these areas well.
Old April 26th, 2001, 10:01 PM
bindi shah

The information provided has been excellent !!!!
We are thinking of hiring car from Seward(25/26 August 2001) to Anchorage as we are being charged AUD$84 person including an 18 month old baby. We are also planning to stay in Anchorage for 3days. What are the car hire companies operating. Would like info on well known car hire companies and approximate costs. Also how long would it take appox to travel during peak season and what sort of stops are along the way (i,e besides the wonderful scenery is it spoilt by commercial stuff)
Old April 28th, 2001, 02:08 AM
hockeymom

Don't forget the wild animal park.(see pic ) This was a highlight of our trip down to Seward from Anchorage. We also stopped and took pics of us sticking our feet in the frigid Alaskan waters! We met LOTS of mosquitos at Exit Glacier. The MILEPOST is a definite must for anyone driving either way.

Old May 1st, 2001, 05:36 PM
Carole Dunham

The Milepost? Where can I get it. We are going to Alaska for the 8th time next summer. We plan on renting a car in Seward and going out to the Kenai Peninsula for a week, especially to Homer. Would love to have a gorgeous drive back to Anchorage.

Carole
Old May 1st, 2001, 06:01 PM
Shar

Hi Carole!
The best price I could find was at Amazon.com. In September, we're renting a car out of ANC and staying at a B&B in Seward, so we can have 3 days to drive around the Peninsula. We won't be able to make it to Homer, but we are going to spend a day driving and sight-seeing along the Sterling Hwy!! I have a current Milepost and it's just full of every bit of info you'd need. I really envy that you're going to spend a whole week there. Have you already made lodging reservations?
Shar
Old May 2nd, 2001, 02:48 PM
Carole Dunham

No we haven't made reservations yet but we're not going until august of 2002, so I think we have a bit of time, . Try to make Homer if you can. It is one of the most beautiful spots I've ever seen in my life. If I can find it, I'll see if I can find Homer's website. It's loaded with photos. Thanks for the information on The Milepost. I'll go to Amazon this afternon and get it.

Carole
Old May 9th, 2001, 03:04 PM
First Mate

If you are transferring to the ship, I would suggest purchasing from the cruise line. It's a long drive. A stop at Portage Glacier is nice.