Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2001, 02:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default car rental

How difficult and expensive is it to rent a car at Anchorage airport and return in Seward at or near the pier when we embark? What companies are in both locations and are one way drop off charges very expensive?
Does Celebrity provide bus transportation from Vancouver Pier to Seattle? If not, what is the best way to make the trip with luggage? We are from NY and we really want to visit Seattle since we are so close when we disembark in Vancouver.
Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: car rental

Can't tell you about cars in Alaska, something we need to check out too. Celebrity will have busses between Vancouver's pier and Seattle. We were on Galaxy a couple of years ago and the bus even dropped us off at our Seattle hotel before continuing to Sea/Tac airport with departing passengers. We bought our transfers onboard.

Carole
Old May 6th, 2001, 06:23 PM
First Mate

In Vancouver you can rent a car one-way from National Rent a Car from downtown Vancouver and drop it off at Seattle airport. The cost for a full-size is about $65/US. We are doing this both ways - I like the idea of getting off the ship and having a place to store our luggage (in the trunk) while we do some sightseeing in Vancouver and then on to Seattle. You can book it on their internet site. nationalcar.com
Have a great trip!
Kathy G
Old May 6th, 2001, 11:47 PM
Shar

Hi Kathy! I'm sure prices depend on what time of year. Probably, your best bet would be Hertz. The last I heard, it was approx $125 one way from Seward to Anchorage, so it would probably be in the same ball park. The smaller rental companies probably won't allow 1 way rentals. You could try http://www.travelocity.com and see what comes up, but I'd call Hertz first.
I'm renting round-trip from Budget out of Anchorage and taking the train back down to Seward (this is over 3 days). Make your rservations soon, the rates are bound to go up. We got our mid-sized car for $49 a day on Travelocity, when Budget directly quoted us $69 for the same car. There are some resident board experts who can probably give you more precise answers.
Good Luck!
Shar
Old May 7th, 2001, 08:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you are trying to get a car rental from any airport, try Priceline. It will be a great savings. As long as you are returning it to the same location.

For me, since I want a one-way rental from Seward to Anchorage, I'm out of luck. The only thing I have so far is Hertz....and they are charging a fortune. I know part of the problem is that our cruise ends on Labor Day...but $230 for 1 1/2 days (Monday morning till Tuesday evening) is still incredibly high... I suppose, in the end, I could end up cancelling with Hertz and taking the train....but we wanted the flexibility to sightsee on our own.
Old May 8th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

I had heard conflicting info about USave in Seward. I heard you couldn't pick up there.... So, I called them to be certain.

I now have a new reservation.... Pick up in Seward, drop off at Anchorage. Low daily rental rate....drop off fee is $150. With my AAA card, my 1 1/2 day rental is now $194....instead of $230.
Old May 8th, 2001, 05:59 PM
bindi shah

Please provide with the Usave phone number
Old May 8th, 2001, 09:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

907-561-0439 or 800-254-8728 - USave Auto Rental
Old May 9th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Admiral

There are several independent Anchorage car rentals in the $25/day range + taxes. I usually rent from Rent Rite, but have used others with no problems.
Old May 9th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Admiral

The only major rental company that allow one way Anchorage -Seward drop offs, or reverse is Hertz, Usave has $150 drop off fees. As for Vancouver downtown- Seatac transportation- the cruiselines to offer bus service for about $50 per person, there is also Quick Shuttle- but allow 4 hours as they make serveral stops- cheaper than the ship buses. I most always drive. I have rented from Avis, Budget and National. All have down town offices, offer shuttles- although I usually walk to Canada Place. (drop off your bags first ) Be sure to get the downtown drop off or pick up location and verify this.
Old May 10th, 2001, 11:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Karen -- one thing to point out. One of the quotes I have from Hertz for the one-way from Seward to Anchorage is $159/day. Although USave has a $150 'drop off' fee stated, Hertz is just lumping it in. Since both companies will let you go one-way, it is worth getting a quote from each. I just wish we could find someone leaving Anchorage for Seward when I get there to take my rental car back -- lol!
Old May 22nd, 2001, 04:39 PM
cheryl5

What I'd really like is the phone number for Rent Rite...I'd just love to find a $25/day car in Anchorage!! Please help if you can.

Thanks