Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2001, 06:12 PM
bindi shah

Default 19th August sailing

At last we are booked for the Glacier cruise on 19 August on HAL's ZEENDAM. There's 3 of us including my little one who will be 18months in August.

Still haven't decided on whether to go by car or the bus from Seward to Anchorage. Are there local buses to Anchorage. Do we have to book early for this. What is the average price for the bus trip (Main factor at present is the cost of car hire)

Would like to know of good moderate priced accomodation in Anchorage and does it get really busy in summer. What sort of clothing required in Anchorage
Also is it worth staying in Talkeetna as it is too long a journey to do it in 1 day with the little one
Is car required in Anchorage itself or public transport should do

We are also touring the Canadian Rockies - Anyone know of good sites/board like this one !!!

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2001, 08:16 PM
First Mate

Default Re: 19th August sailing

try looking at a website called cruise-addicts.com. You can also get a lot of help there as there.

Good luck & have a safe trip! I'm going on RCL's Vision of the Seas, Inner Passage on 8/19 from Vancouver.
Old May 9th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Admiral

Bus service Anchorage - Seward is in the $50 range via the ship buses but there are local companies that do this cheaper. I really like Talkeetna and being it is only 2 hours north- you may also get a view of Mt. Mckinley. This funky town is the basis for The Northern Exposure tv show. The cinamon buns at the Talkeetna Roadhouse are worth the trip!!! I would rent a cheap local RT Anchorage car, bus service in Anchorage would greatly limit your touring. Get out and see Alaska !!!
Old May 9th, 2001, 05:01 PM
Shar

Bindi,
Do a web search for Anchorage B&Bs.
My experience was that they were a lot more reasonable than the hotels. I made my reservations last December for our Sept trip, so I'd really suggest you start contacting people soon! Remember, Anchorage's tourist season is in the summer!!

Shar