Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Browezilla

Default Misty Fjords Flight + glaciers +/or cruise?

Hi all,

The options I've seen on the Misty Fjords flights are:
1) The fjords -- highly recommended by everyone
2) Add the cruise on the return -- all the notes I've seen say "don't do this"
3) Extend the fjords flight to pick up "flightseeing of the glacier fjords". This is about an additional 30 minutes for $50-75 extra. Anyone know if this is worth adding? On the surface it appears to be just more of the "fjords" with a glacier at the head of it.
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2001, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Misty Fjords Flight + glaciers +/or cruise?

Honesty- if on a "regular cruise ship" you should be going to either Hubbord or Glacier Bay- prefered by me. You may also want to consider booking direct at a savings vs the ship excursions that would make the price increase less if looking at the ship tour?? I have flown with www.taquanair.com and www.islandwings.com both excellent companies.
Old May 20th, 2001, 03:04 PM
browezilla

Can anyone comment on which they prefer, flightseeing Misty Fjords vs. taking a high speed catamaran? I know the cat is a lot slower, but at least from my experience in Hawaii the cliffs are much more impressive from the water. Right now I'm leaning toward the flightseeing for time management, but I don't want to out of hand dismiss the cat cruises either.

Thanks for all the great info on this site! I love the enthusiasm that everyone has about Alaska. I was really hesitant at first, since I like to cruise warm water locations, but as the time draws nearer I'm really getting stoked!
Old May 21st, 2001, 02:03 AM
hockeymom

If you want to see my write-ups of shore excursions with pics please email me at violaswmp@aol.com
Old May 21st, 2001, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Definately the float plane to just Misty Fjords- you will see plenty of glaciers elsewhere. I have flown with both www.taquanair.com and www.islandwings.com both excellent companies.
Old May 24th, 2001, 06:07 PM
Passenger

We booked a tour with Island Wings that will be a flightseeing tour of misty Fjords, but then we land and go for a 2 hour hike in misty fjords! That way we get to see the area from the air and up-close. We were concerned that we wouldn't get good pictures from the plane, but the boat trip took to long for the time we had in port. We don't go until June 19th, so I can't tell you if it is as good as it sounds yet.
Old June 3rd, 2001, 12:54 PM
Lanz

Jeanette,

Please let me know how you like this tour, I am thinking of booking as a surprise for my husbands 55th birthday. Thanks Lana
Old June 4th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

If your husband is at all into wildlife, I'd book with either taquanair or islandwings, but I'd do the bear watch instead of misty fjords. You still get to fly in a floatplane over some beautiful scenery, but then you get to watch bears catching salmon as they jump up waterfalls. It was awesome.