Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2001, 03:21 PM
browezilla

Default Ketchikan - Mountain Point Snorkeling Adventure

Has anyone tried this yet, or if you have it planned, would you mind posting a report here after you return? I was a little skeptical about what you would see other than a bunch'a salmon, but after reading Cara's report below for kayaking, I'm thinking "oh baby, snorkeling this would be great"

Author: carla (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 05-19-01 22:43

I'm sorry if other people have told you this already--I'm too lazy to read the threads--
we took the kayak tour and it was great! We did have unbelievable weather, so that might have
influenced our enjoyment. Neither of us had ever been in a kayak, but we had no problems. The
salmon were jumping right in front of us, and the water was so clear we saw tons of starfish, and
other sea creatures. It was also great because when you're in Alaska you want to try to experience it
like Alaskans (in some small way anyway).
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2001, 07:18 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Ketchikan - Mountain Point Snorkeling Adventur

Hi Browzilla,

One thing I would be very sure of is that does the company who provide the excursion provide full wetsuits in your size? Believe me, Alaskan water is cold and water is a super heat conductor. Remember the people who died in the Titanic wreck, most of them died of hypothermia in about 15 minutes. 80 degree air feels hot. 80 degree water will drain the heat out of your body until you get the shivers. If you can't get an answer from the cruiseline, go to your local dive shop and rent one for the week.

Carole
Old May 22nd, 2001, 03:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Carla - Can you give me more information regarding the kayaking in Ketchikan? Tour company, cost, time, etc. This is exactly what I'm looking to do with my teenage children.
Thanks,
Jackie
Old May 25th, 2001, 03:48 PM
browezilla

On http://travel.discovery.com/dest/wei...tc_p/ship.html

I found this write-up:

Snorkeling/Scuba Diving at Mountain Point—Yes, it’s possible to have underwater adventures in Alaska. (Luckily, wet suits are provided.) Sea cucumbers, huge sea urchins, sunflower starfish as big as car tires and—if you’re there at the right time—large king salmon are among the creatures you might see. All equipment provided. You must be in very good physical condition; divers must have C cards. 3 hours. Snorkeling about US$55, diving about US$155.
Old May 29th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Browezilla

Got some informatino from NCL's site. They say that the outfitting is in "wetsuits", not "dry suits". They compare the water temperature to that of northern California. I'm still interested in any information from someone that has actually taken this excursion.