Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2001, 12:58 PM
Itchin4aCRUZin

Default Alaska: Which Ship?

Hi,
We are thinking about booking a last minute cruise to Alaska in June. I need to books asap and don't have time to research all the ships. We have cruised Carnival's Paradise once and enjoyed it very much. What are your recommendations?
Thanks
Beth
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2001, 01:41 PM
browezilla

Default Re: Alaska: Which Ship?

Sun, Dawn, Sea, or Ocean Princess. All in the same family of ships and deeply discounted now.

RCCL Radiance of the Sea.

Any Celebrity ship. They too were deeply discounted earlier, but I don't know if they still are or not.
Old May 21st, 2001, 04:48 PM
John Koppenaal

Default Which ship?

My wife Judy and I are booked on the new Carnival ship, The Spirit. There are some wonderful pictures of this brand new ship on www.cruisemates.com. It looks spectacular. We are very excited. Why not check it out? Good luck and enjoy.
Old May 21st, 2001, 06:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just finished 7 days on the Celebrity Cruises Infinity and had a fantastic time. Weather was alittle unpredictable but enjoy the shipboard experience. Good food, great service, great entertainment and some of the friendliest staff I've ever encountered. Being a brand new ship everything was bright and clean. Have fun.
Old May 21st, 2001, 07:15 PM
Carole Dunham

All the ships mentioned before will give you a great cruise. I would suggest doing a one way between Vancouver and Seward. You will see much more of Alaska and lots more glaciers. I've cruised Alaska 7 times and that is my favorite itinerary.

Carole
Old May 21st, 2001, 08:03 PM
eeinusa

If it was the atmosphere of Carnival you enjoyed, you might find some of the other lines (i.e. Princess, Celbrity, and HAL) more sedate. Keep that in mind as you're making your decision.
Old May 23rd, 2001, 10:31 AM
Admiral

This is not a consideration on Alaska sailings. I have cruised 4 different lines to Alaska including Carnival and all had similar passengers. Middle aged and above the majority, there are no party ships to Alaska. eeinusa wrote:
>
> If it was the atmosphere of Carnival you enjoyed, you might
> find some of the other lines (i.e. Princess, Celbrity, and
> HAL) more sedate. Keep that in mind as you're making your
> decision.
Old May 23rd, 2001, 10:34 AM
Admiral

I do not agree. The one way trips are only worthwhile IF you plan to spend at least 4 extra days interior touring. 6 out of 7 cruise days are the same on both the one way and round trip cruises. It is a waste of time and money to sail into or out of Anchorage the same sailing day. Flights are more costly and much longer flying time.
Old May 25th, 2001, 03:51 AM
Carole Dunham

Well Karen, you don't get up into College Fjord which is more spectacular than Glacier Bay, IMHO, much colder and dramatic I think. In 7 cruises I think I know the Inside passage with my eyes closed and I STILL think the one way is far more spectacular then the round trip, whether you stay in Alaska or fly right home. I've done them both, and will be doing it next year with a week in the Kenai Peninsula on our own afterward. One of the cruiselines used to call at Homer, but they don't anymore, so we're going to hangout there for awhile.

Carole
Old May 29th, 2001, 05:51 PM
Gina

I am also planning a trip with my husband to Alaska. What does everyone think of Princess versus Celebrity?

We took the Mercury to the western Caribbean and thought the ship was nice although the entertainment was mediocre.

We would like to try another ship. The infinity seems pricey.

What about booking land excursions. Which are a 'no miss' and which are on 'stay on the ship'??? I love wildlife.

Gina
Old May 31st, 2001, 07:35 PM
Admiral

You don't get into College Fjord with all one way cruises either. Mercury is one. You need to choose carefully.
Old May 31st, 2001, 07:36 PM
Admiral

There are no "stay on the ship" areas in Alaska. Choose your ports and glacier carefully then fit it into the ship.
Old June 1st, 2001, 01:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lindsay

We booked Radiance of the Seas for August, 2002. While I am looking forward to seeing Alaska VERY much, I also go for the "cruise experience". I hear the Radiance is absolutely gorgeous and it seems to cater to a fair mix of people, including families and children. All the glass and wood interiors sound wonderful. Again, while I am looking extremely forward to seeing the awesome beauty of Alaska, I have to admit, the ship, itself, is a big attraction for me. My husband will be more interested in the ports and Alaska, itself. And, since he's not a sun-worshiper, this itinerary will be perfect for him!
Old June 3rd, 2001, 10:35 AM
Passenger

I am leaving June 14 for a round trip Vancouver on Holland American's Westerdam. Although I have not been on an Alaska cruise before, I was on the Westerdam last June when it was sailing the Eastern Caribbean. I sailed the Zaandam in October to the Western Caribbean and Carnival's Fascination in March to the Southern Caribbean. I love the Westerdam because it really looks and feels like a true ship. This is the last season the Westerdam will be with Holland American. It is going to its sister company, Costa, in September to sail Europe.
I also like the idea it sails on Thursday to Thursday, so it is not as often in port with ten other ships. In my opinion, there is no such thing as a bad cruise.