Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2001, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Default Hours of Daylight???

Just a real quick question!!! Where do I find information concerning the hours of daylight in Alaska for different times of the year??? Any help would be most appreciated..Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2001, 08:00 PM
eeinusa

Default Re: Hours of Daylight???

The frommer's tour book has that information -- probably their website would as well. If you want to specify the months you're specifically interested in, I'd be happy to look it up in the guide I have.
Old May 22nd, 2001, 07:57 AM
Andrew Hicks

I was just in Alaska last week and found the further north you go the more sunlight you get. In Seward, the sun was setting around 11:00 at night!! Kind of makes you wonder if you should be going to bed or eating dinner again.
Old May 22nd, 2001, 10:41 AM
browezilla

On a related topic, are there "late night" sights that one should watch for in the Vancouver to Seward direction? For example "the sights on day X at xx o'clock is worth staying up for". I'm going in mid-July, so the daylight will be much longer, and I probably wouldn't plan on "watching the land go by" later than 8:30 due to dinner/shows/disco etc., but I'd love to know of sights that I should watch out for. I've heard several people comment on how nice the sights are out of BC Canada.

Thanks
Old May 22nd, 2001, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the info. Silly me....I just looked in the Princess brochure and there it was, in black & white, the total number hours of daylight per month. This will be our second cruise to Alaska. The first was in May, 1999. Now we are going in Sept., 2001. I see that I will have less daylight hours but who cares, it is Alaska.........As for any interesting things to see...Nature in her most beautiful splendor....During our first Alaska Adventure, we took a helo over the ice fields out of Juneau. We stopped on 2 different glaciers. As we were flying over the ice fields, tears were pouring out of my eyes. I just could not believe the beauty, the pristine land or the absolute magnificence of Alaska. For those of you who have experienced Alaska, you know exactly what I mean. For those of you who will experience Alaska, you have more to look forward to than you can possibly imagine.
Old May 23rd, 2001, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Sept.'s big disadvantage besides the poor weather is the short days. It will be dark by 7pm. Be sure to keep checking independently the prices as these sailings have been deeply discounted the last couple years. I went for $365 last year.
Old May 23rd, 2001, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Thank You Karen but we travel at convenient times based on our work. Summer is definitely out so spring and fall are our options. Nice to see you got a great discount. We always book a full suite and I am still waiting to see those discounted. lol.......We actually cruise to totally relax. Do nothing except to 'be away' from the high pressure jobs. We have done a few excursions, but most of the time we just spend aboard ship. Daylight hours and weather are not a consideration for us, so I guess Sept is just as good as July.........
Old May 25th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Alaska Cruiser

There are several web sites that have sunrise/sunset calculators which will provide you with that kind of information. With most of these, you just enter the location and date you are interested in. One example, courtesy of the U.S. Naval Observatory, can be found at http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html
I have included an example this web site's output at the end of this post for Seward, Alaska on June 22.

However, my personal favorite way to get this information is through the use of a shareware program called Geoclock. It can be found at www.geoclock.com

Finally, if you have a Palm or Handspring PDA, you may be interested in a freeware program called "Tide Tool". It provides tides, currents, sun, and moon data for most coastal areas. Tide Tool can be found at www.toolworks.com/bilofsky/tidetool.htm

Sample output from http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html
The following information is provided for Seward, Seward County, Alaska (longitude W149.4, latitude N60.1):

Friday
22 June 2001 Alaska Daylight Time

SUN
Begin civil twilight 2:42 a.m.
Sunrise 4:33 a.m.
Sun transit 2:00 p.m.
Sunset 11:28 p.m.
End civil twilight 1:18 a.m. on following day

MOON
Moonrise 4:54 a.m. on preceding day
Moonset 12:03 a.m.
Moonrise 5:51 a.m.
Moon transit 3:28 p.m.
Moonset 12:54 a.m. on following day
Old May 25th, 2001, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the absolutely SUPER information.........
Old May 26th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Read a message about being dark at 7PM in Sept. Must be thinking about far north. Figure this for Anchorage - July 20th - summer, daylight is about 20 hours, if it's clear, it won't get darker than dusk. If it's cloudy, might get a bit darker. Figure on losing 5 minutes per day after July 20. Just because it's sundown, doesn't mean it gets dark, more like in 8PM most states.
Old May 31st, 2001, 07:38 PM
Admiral

It is dusk at 7pm in South East Alaska by third week of September.
Old June 25th, 2001, 07:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sue,

My husband and I are taking our first cruise on the Sea Princess on Sept. 1. Will we be seeing you there?

Do you think that we will see the northern lights in or around Juneau? I keep trying to find a website or something that lets us know when and where to see them.

Have a great cruise.

Stephanie
Old June 25th, 2001, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Can't say for sure, but the likelyhood of seen the lights in september are pretty low, too early and too light. Best time for viewing the lights is winter, always seems to be too cold to sit out and watch them. Can't tell when they'll show up, they're just there.

here's some sites on the lights

http://www.inalaska.com/a/aurora/index.html
http://www.inalaska.com/alaska/nature/aurora.html

You'll enjoy your cruise up here even if you don't see the lights, there's just too much to see.
Old June 25th, 2001, 10:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bill,

Thanks for the information. I am going to try to get to Alaska or Canada one of these days to see them. All of the pictures make it look like an incredible sight.

Stephanie