CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Juneau (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/245813-juneau.html)

Michele May 26th, 2001 04:07 PM

Juneau

Looking for info on how to tour the Mendhall Glacier. By renting a car, tour bus or float trip. Has anyone taken any of these?

Also what is the best port to take a helicopter glacier tour?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

DougH May 29th, 2001 12:42 PM

Re: Juneau

The ship tours to Mendenhall run about $40. I just did a tour by Mendenhall Glacier Transport for $20. This was purchased on the pier, they will have people waiting as you get off to sell tickets and had several departure times. You travel on an old school bus instead of a full size one but are saving $$. Other option is to take the regular Juneau city bus for $1.25 each way but this drops you off about 1 1/2 miles from the visitor center. If it's a nice day and you don't mind walking this is cheap option.

Juneau is also in my opionion the place to do your flightseeing.

Check out my reveview of my recent trip on the HAL Statendam at www.cruise-addict.com in the review section.

Doug Hembroff

Sharon May 29th, 2001 03:21 PM

Doug,

We are seriously thinking of taking the Mendenhall tour the way you did, I am
wondering if time will allow us to do so, how long is the tour?

Yes2Cruising May 30th, 2001 06:36 PM

We did the Mendhall Glacier helicopter. A once in a life time experience, will never forget it, absolutly breath taking. Well worth every penney. My wife and I decided that we would not skimp than to say to ourselves "Wish we had done that tour" and be kicking ourselves when we arrived home. For most people an Alaska cruise is once.

Karen May 31st, 2001 07:56 PM

For clairfication there are 2 bus options for getting to Mendenhall Glacier- the shuttle $10 RT or the tour $20- the tour includes a 20 min glacier stop on the tour of about 2 1/2 hours, visitor center admission is included, drive by city tour, stop at Chapel on the Lake at Alaska University, Douglas Island ship view stop. On the shuttle the visitor admission is not included $3. The best of all excursions is a glacier helicopter landing via www.coastalhelicopters.com

Karen June 2nd, 2001 12:11 PM

I also do not recommend the Mendenhall River Float trip. Only a brief distant view of the glacier - the rest of the trip trees and backyards. Money is better spent elsewhere in my opinionl.

pookey June 20th, 2001 08:48 AM

we also are going to alaska for the first time and also believe that we should try to do it all, we have pre-booked the glacier helicopter excursion through coastal 160.00pp about one hour trip with landing on glacier their #1-907-789-5600, or www.ptialaska.net they will pickup and drop us off at the ship.