Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 29th, 2001, 05:55 PM
Gina

Default Is Glacier Bay a 'do not miss'?

I have been researching Alaska cruises and I found a bargain with the Celebrity Mercury-$1000 with air from SF. This cruise is a one-way through the inside passage.

Which is better, one-way or round trip from vancouver?

The trip I found does not include Glacier Bay but Hubbard Glacier is included plus a day of inside cruising-whatever that means.

Thanks

Gina
Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Yes2Cruising

Default Re: Is Glacier Bay a 'do not miss'?

We did a Vancouver round trip plus 7 days down the Pacific Coast last Sept. 14 days in all. I believe you will not be disapponted in either Hubbard or Glacier. We did Glacier, fantastic. Other ports were Ketchican, Juneau, Skagway and Sitka. Inside cruising means the passage not the ocean. Mendenhall glacier helicopter ride was great in Juneau. Missed the sea plane and boat tour out of Ketchican due to weather, but at least we tried.

When in Juneau make sure you stop in the Red Dog Saloon, lot of fun.

One way takes you up much farther to see the beauty of Alaska. The wildlife, certain times of the year is spectacular, end of June through August. September gets late for the wildlife. We chose that cruise due to length and the pricing. Got the 14 days for the price of 7, Celebrity reunion cruise.

If I can assist more let me know. You will love Alaska, for some a one time experience.

Y2C
Old May 30th, 2001, 09:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Is Glacier Bay a 'do not miss'?

Last year we did the round trip cruise with Celebrity, this year we chose to do the one way so we could fly to Anchorage and see Denali. I think we missed a major part of Alaska by just doing the inside passage. But if all you're doing is cruising, then I would go whichever way is cheapest. There are some great prices out there right now. We booked an inside cabin for just $688. You might want to check out doing it that way and buying your own airfare. Hubbard Glacier was spectacular. Some people say it's even better than Glacier Bay. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me by email.
Old May 30th, 2001, 09:50 PM
Gina

Default Thanks Patty and Y2C..more....

That was very helpful. Do you think booking an inside cabin is fine or will we really miss out if we do not have a window or balcony? An outside cabin is twice as much. I hear you have to fight for space on cruising days-people save tables all day in the restaurants for a window seat.

Which cruise ship did you go with? We have been on the Mercury to the Caribbean and wonder if we should stick with the Mercury again or try something new. Unfortuatnely the Infinity is out of our price range.

Thanks again!
Old May 31st, 2001, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Thanks Patty and Y2C..more....

I would not hesistate to book an inside cabin. for me I spend all my time out on the front open decks seeing it all. My preference is Glacier Bay- but the price is right. Don't consider a one way unless you have at least 4 days to do some interior touring, since you are all the way up there. 6 out of 7 cruise days are the same on both the one way and round trip Vancouver cruises.
Old June 1st, 2001, 11:11 AM
browezilla

<quote>
Do you think booking an inside cabin is fine or will we really miss out if we do
not have a window or balcony? An outside cabin is twice as much. I hear you have to fight for space
on cruising days-people save tables all day in the restaurants for a window seat.
</quote>

I think it depends on your personality. Some folks just prefer to stay in their cabin and relax. In that case, I'd get an window or balcony. If you are active and like to roam around, then I'd book inside. I tend to be of the latter type and always book inside since all I use the room for is to change clothes and sleep. I've always been able to find a place indoors or outdoors to just watch the scenery go by, especially on ships that have a lot of balconies, because those folks probably won't be milling around as much. The one big advantage I do like of a balcony is having breakfast there and watching the scenery go by while I'm getting dressed. For me, that isn't sufficient to justify the extra expense.

The difference in price is usually significant, and can go a long way toward offsetting flightseeing trips and other excursions. For me, I tend to be out in the public areas a lot and I take a lot of excursions (usually privately booked, not via the cruise line, and they occupy the entire day). I want to be out and about on land and on the ship, not sit in my room/balcony.

In a nutshell, I don't think you'll miss scenery/sites by not having a balcony or window if you're willing to go to the public areas. I find this preferable to being in my cabin.
If you really want to spend more time in your cabin, then I'd go for a balcony (over a window or inside). The only public area I've ever had a problem with is "pool side lounge chairs".

From your note it sounds like you're mostly concerned with not being able to find a good public area to view the scenary. I don't think you'll have a problem with this, but you may not be able to pick a specific public area, e.g. the cafe windows. If you're flexible, e.g. try the library, on deck, the library, spa, etc., I dont' think you'll have a problem at all.
Old June 1st, 2001, 09:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

We went on the Galaxy last year and will be sailing on the Mercury this year. We booked an inside room and used it just for sleeping and changing. And if we felt like napping we could always make it dark and pretend it was night! There are lots of places to view the scenery. They supply blankets, so one day we bundled up and stretched out in a lounge chair. Finding a place out of the wind helps. The very back of the ship was great. Another day we sat up in the glassed in stratosphere lounge. We never found it too crowded and people were so friendly that it was fun being out in the public. In fact, when it came to spotting wildlife, it helped to have a group all with binoculars. As soon as someone spotted something, they clued all of us in where to look. We never had a problem finding a window to look out of and the open decks were deserted most of the time. This time, after booking an inside room, we were offered an outside room for $300 per person less. Of course we took the deal. I'll let you know about the comparison when we get back.