Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 29th, 2001, 07:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Corinne
Default Radiance June 23 - first timers

Greetings all - am new to this and have enjoyed all topics.

Am sailing with husband and 16-1/2 yr old son on Radiance out of Vancouver June 23 - first cruise for the three of us although I have wind-jammed in Maine.

I guess I'm the more active of the three of us - and am narrowing down shore excursions. Renting a car in Skagway seems like a great idea because the WhitePass description reminds me too much of the Mt. Washington Cog railway in New Hampshire - correct me if I'm off-base here ...

Seems as if the Glacier helicopter tour out of Juneau is a must as well as the Mount Roberts Tramway. If we don't take the heli-tour - can you walk to Mendenhall Glacier?? The float plane out of Ketchikan is another must - although I think I might try kayaking there.

Has anyone ever cruised with a 16 year old ?? He isn't really that enthusiastic about this whole family vacation but if I pick the right activities - he will talk about it in later years. So - are there any MUST MUST activities aside from the above mentioned for a family from the Eastern US.
Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2001, 11:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Radiance June 23 - first timers

We too are on the Radiance on June 23. Although we are a bunch of seasoned cruisers we have never been to Alaska. We too are looking for FUN things to do.

My sons are now grown men but they are adventurers. Thinking back about when they were that age I would probably take them on the Kayak trip in Juneau. Sounds like one of those "guy things" to do. Since you've been to Maine, has he been whale watching? We did that in Maine and all the kids on the boat had a great time. How about a gold mine tour?

As far as the cruise, I haven't seen one teen-ager yet who didn't "fall in love" on a cruise. Due to the timing there should be lots of kids his age. He'll find plenty to do.

Hope you all have loads of fun.

By the way, I will be easy to recognize on the ship. I'll be the lady with lots of luggage and a HUGE smile on her face all the time. You won't miss me.
Old May 30th, 2001, 10:22 PM
Passenger

Connie -

Thanks - I'm sure my son will be fine once he gets the lay of the ship and can find his own activities - he would love to spend all day at the computer but when he found out the rates - well - he knows he can give it up for one short week of his life!

We've been whale watching off Cape Cod - watched the salmon run in Washington State - the one animal my son and I haven't yet seen is moose although my husband has seen them in Vermont.

I'll look for you - I won't have as much luggage as you but I'm good at layering and mix and matching to the max!!

You have great fun also!
Old May 31st, 2001, 01:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Layering YES---Mix'n'Match NO......I gotta have a different outfit every time they serve another meal ! ! ! . I wear jeans etc. to work every day so I love getting dressed up on cruises. Hubby even bought a Tux for this one. Looking for a new suit we found Tuxes were cheaper. Since he doesn't usually wear a suit, he figured the tux would be great fun.

We are also spending the day before the cruise and 3 days after in Vancouver. More clothes there too. Now multiply that by 3 more women and 2 men and we could stock a Sears store at the mall.

HAVE FUN
Old May 31st, 2001, 09:14 PM
Admiral

I too whale watch out of Gloucester- same areas as Cape Cod- this is the best of all areas and Alaska doesn't even make the top ten.
Old May 31st, 2001, 09:20 PM
Admiral

The White Pass is very different then the Mt Washington cog Rail road. But since you have decided on the car be sure to drive to Emerald Lake 75 miles and return as the scenery greatly drops off after that point. Consider www.coastalhelicopters.com for an excellent glacier landing out of Juneau. You can't walk to Mendenhall from downtown. You have several options- rent a car with All Star, take the shuttle bus $10 RT tour bus $20- includes 20 min glacier stop. or real cheap the city bus- drop off 1 1/2 miles from the visitor center- verify return schedules as they only run every hour or so. In my opinion the Misty Fjords floatplane is also excellent but a distant second to any helicopter glacier landing. I have flown with both www.taquanair.com and www.islandwings.com Kayaking is excellent in Ketchikan I have gone with www.southeasternexposure.com and www.ktn.net/sekayak

I never book any ship tours and always book my own direct.
Old May 31st, 2001, 09:38 PM
Passenger

Thank you both -
I haven't booked anything yet but will do so over weekend - appreciated your comments Karen about the comparison between New England and Alaska - gives me a reference framework. I'll definitely book a helicopter tour and as someone said - you don't want to say "If only ..." or "I wish I ...." I also don't want to book too many excursions because there needs to be space to breath and just sit back and absorb it all - I love to people watch and find time to interact with the locals but not while I'm shuffling all over the place!!

My mother would love you Connie - she thinks I don't dress up enough but I'm not a dressy person but I do like nice fabrics in very simple simple styles - which I then accessorize with scarves or jewelry. I read a shopping review from an LA newspaper and it mentioned a jeweler who specializes in pins and is located on South Franklin Street in Juneau - and I'm definitely heading there to add to my pin collection..... The name is Spears .... so anyone wanting to join me for an outing to shop!!
Old June 2nd, 2001, 01:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Oh darlin' !! Now you are talkin my language. Shopping, shopping, shopping. Heck I can see whales on TV. Give me the shops.(just kidding about the whales)

You need about 5 lbs. of sequins to "spruce up" those classic little outfits of yours. (just kidding about the sequins)

I will make a note of that jewelry shop. I love pins and have some unique ones. The waiters all seem fascinated by my pins on cruises.
Old June 2nd, 2001, 04:15 PM
Ardie

We are cruising on the Radiance on Set 8, 2001; to Alaska. Is anyone else going to sail on her on then? We just got off the May 21st three night N.W. sailing, and we need to go back for more. It was an incredible experience.
Old June 19th, 2001, 11:13 AM
pookey

we too are sailing on radiance 6/23 we are three familes with 4 teens ages 14-16 2 girls 2 boys, we have booked the helicopter/dog sled tour from skagway at 303.00pp from temsco helicopter www.temscoair.com, also the misty fiords float plane trip from ketchican with island wings 179.00pp 1-888-854-2444, and are considering the glacier landing from juneau with coastal, rain in juneau is a consideration, all is cheaper than booking by ship, hopefully we can meet up i know the kids love cruising and this ship has own teen disco and arcade , can't wait only 4 more days