Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2001, 01:44 PM
SuzieQ

Default Which itinerary would you chose?

Celebrity Summit 2002

Northbound
8 hours in Ketchikan
adds 5 hours cruising Valdez and College Fjord

Southbound
gives 11 hours in Ketchikan
no Valdez
adds Sitka

Is there any benifit to North over South...I know NOTHING about the ports so I don't know if it would be a shame to miss Sitka, etc...
Thanks for any advice...boy am I lost!
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Which itinerary would you chose?

SuzieQ:

On the 5/11 Infinity we stopped in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan plus Hubbard Glacier.

Needless to say it was a great cruise but I could have skipped Ketchikan. Since the average rainfall is 161 inches a year, it was cold and rainy all day. In addition, Holland America and Princess were in port at the same time so we had to be tendered to shore from the Infinity. All the shore excursions were full so we ended going back to the ship early. Skagway was my favorite...nice small town, easy walking distance to all the shops. We booked the White Pass Yukon railway trip (3 hours) and were not disappointed. It's not to be missed. In Juneau we booked the helicopter to the top of Mendenhall ($297 each)...what a disappointment. The skies were overcasted and we could barely see a 1/4 mile in any direction.

I've heard Sitka is really nice too however I've never been there. You will enjoy Alaska. We are looking forward to the Southern Caribbean on the Infinity next year.

Ray
Old June 5th, 2001, 03:44 PM
SuzieQ

Ray,

All of the shore excursions were full?!!!!!!

Did they sell out on your ship? Or did the ship sign you up as if there was room...and then you were bumped because of the other cruise lines arriving before you?

The only reason I'm willing to put up with the weather is to see the wildlife and scenery on the excursions! Uh oh.
Old June 5th, 2001, 04:47 PM
aladyncal

I thought the helicopter tours are cancelled/refunded of the weather is bad. Am I mistaken? 1/4 mile visibility doesn't sound good....
Old June 6th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Admiral

The main consideration you need is 4-5 days added interior touring on any one way trips. I greatly prefer southbound trips for the last sailing day loaded with marine wildlife. Sitka is a prefered port- you have some tough choices.
Old June 6th, 2001, 01:46 PM
SuzieQ

Believe me...if I could get more time off from work, I'd take the longest land tour possible...especially to see Denali.

As it stands, I get just enough time for a 7 day cruise and flying in one day prior.

We ended up chosing the Southbound. It added Sitka (think I saw an otter excursion) and more time in Ketchikan.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Old June 6th, 2001, 09:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

When you make your helicopter arrangements, don't do it through the ship. You can do it on your own through Coastal for about $160. And there is a great wildlife tour in Ketchikan. You can fly to an area and see bears catching salmon as they try to jump up a waterfall. We went last year (round trip cruise on Galaxy) and booked all our tours on our own and saved a lot of money. This year we're doing the southbound on Mercury and spending an extra 4 days in Denali. We really feel we missed a major part of Alaska by just doing the cruise.