Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2001, 10:05 AM
First Mate

Default Mendenhall River Float

Am considering taking a shore excursion in Juneau called the Mendenhall River Float Triip. Its a rafting trip that starts in the Mendenhall Lake at the glacier and then heads down river. Would like feedback on this tour. Thanks. Barbara
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Captain

Default Re: Mendenhall River Float

I just took this trip a couple weeks ago. There are 10 people and a guide in each raft. They provide rain gear and boots to help with staying dry. The trip lasts 1 3/4 to 2 hours on the river. The first half of the trip has some small rapids and if you sit in the front you will get wet. The first half also has the best scenery. The second half has slow water and no rapids. The views on the second half are the back sides of houses.
Old June 22nd, 2001, 01:37 PM
Admiral

I have always NOT recommended this trip, since the time I took it in 1994. You get only a brief distant view of the glacier (even more so now that it is retreated so much), the rest of the trip is trees and backyards. This is not considered "white water" in my opinion, very tame. Money is better spent elsewhere. You also do not "load" near the glacier, but on the other side of the lake.
Old June 25th, 2001, 02:17 AM
Carole Dunham

I took it several years ago on one of my 7 Alaska cruises. Other than a couple of eagles sitting in trees behind the houses, I was bored out of my mind. Things I liked doing in Juneau in order of preference. 1. Glacier flightseeing. Landing on a glacier and walking around on it is fabulous, sort of the essence of Alaska in one shore excursion, 2 whale watching cruise. I saw more whales off Boston than I ever saw in Alaska but there is other wildlife other than whales and it's a lovely ride. 3 Mt. Roberts tram. Not a ship's shore excursion, you can walk from the dock to the tram office and ride up the mountain. What a fabulous view!

Carole
Old June 26th, 2001, 10:25 AM
Admiral

for what it's worth, Ma. is the TOP humpback watching area of any whale watching. I get there twice a year- mostly 10-40 sightings every $28 trip!!!!