Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2001, 09:50 PM
Gina

Default Is there a weight limit on helicopter rides?

My 6'4" 250 lb husband may weigh more than is allowed for one seat. Does anyone know about this?
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2001, 10:37 PM
Kathy G

Default Re: Is there a weight limit on helicopter rides?

The limit is 250 lb and they do weigh you - bummer if you are a woman!
Old June 26th, 2001, 11:50 PM
OkieGal

I read on another post that if someone weighs over 250, they charge them at least half more. One post said twice as much, but others said one half.
Old June 27th, 2001, 05:48 AM
First Mate

Is there a weight limit for the float planes?
Old June 27th, 2001, 08:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Do they ask for your weight when you book or do they weigh every person individually before you get on the helicopter?
Old June 27th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Gina

Default Which excursions?

All right. It looks like the helicopter rides are out for our Alaska cruise. Any other suggestions for excursions? We would like to see wildlife.

Thanks
Old June 27th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Cara

Default Not neccesarily...

My boyfriend and I are both over 250 and we registered for a helicopter flight through Celebrity. When we booked on line it asked if we were over 250 and we checked 'yes' - but it charged us the regular price. I have heard from others that the cruise lines compensate for this by putting families with children on your flight. It's the total helicopter weight that matters.

You may want to consider booking through your ship and seeing what happens.

Good luck!
Old June 27th, 2001, 10:50 AM
browezilla

Default Re: Not neccesarily...

For my own excursions, I've requested information from 3 helicopter companies. Each say that it is an FAA regulation that each passenger is allotted one seat for upto 250 lbs. If the passenger weighs more than 250 lbs, then 2 seats are allotted. The info I have says that if the passenger is greater than 250 lbs that they will be charged 2X the price, e.g. you buy two seats. That would be great if the cruise line has negotiated some other arrangement to put groupings together so that the total weight is under 250 lbs/passenger, but the info I have doesn't talk about that. It talks in terms of per passenger limits and charges.
Old June 27th, 2001, 12:08 PM
First Mate

I booked our helicopter excursion directly through Coastal Helicopter in Juneau; they asked our weight. My research has indicated that the weight determines, not the seat. Although you may both be 250 pounds, I would check directly with the company; as another post stated somewhere, although she weighed over 250 pounds, she was accommodated on the helicopter flight as others were much lighter and there were children on the flight.

So hope you get to enjoy!

joanne
Old June 27th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Captain

Some helicopter services will charge extra for someone over 250 pounds. A person over 250 can fly in the helicopter. I know I have in several helicopters and I am over 250. Helicopters can only carry so much weight. They try to even out the load in a helicopter. This is the reason for asking your weight. When I have flown they filled every seat they just compensated for my weight by having lighter people fly with us and one of those was a kid.

In other words yes you can fly if you are over 250. The helicopter company will adjust for the weight and number of people. Yes you may also be charged extra especially if they cannot fill up the helicopter. For me I was charged 1 and 1/2 times the normal rate but I have heard of others who did not get charged extra. They did not weigh anybody on our flight they took them at their word of what their weight was.
Old June 27th, 2001, 03:25 PM
Yes2cruising

The helicopter company we used was Temsco Helicopters Inc. You might look at their web site <www.temscoair.com> or call toll free 877-789-9501.
We enjoyed the experience and glad that we did the tour. Once in a lifetime occasion not to be missed.
Have a great trip.
Old June 27th, 2001, 03:29 PM
Yes2cruising

The helicopter company we used was Temsco Helicopters Inc. You might look at their web site <www.temscoair.com> or call toll free 877-789-9501.
We enjoyed the experience and glad that we did the tour. Once in a lifetime occasion not to be missed.
Have a great trip.
Old June 28th, 2001, 01:12 PM
Admiral

No but you have to disclose the wt for balance.
Old June 28th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Not neccesarily...

Have you gone yet????? It will be interesting to note if you were charged the surcharge or not. I have not known the ship excursions NOT to charge.
Old June 28th, 2001, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Which excursions?

From Juneau- there is the whale watch, I recommend an independent either www.alaskawhalewatching.com or www.dolphintours.com I have gone with both.
Old July 1st, 2001, 12:11 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Corinne

Hi - We, a family of three, just got back from our 6/23 cruise on Radiance . We took the Coastal Glacier helicopter flight. One of us was over the 250# weight limit and was charged 1-1/2 as the rate - however, the excursion was well worth it - the pilot was very well informed and we could ask any questions. This kind of outing is not your everyday kind of outing so go for it - you will not regret it!!
Old July 16th, 2001, 04:27 PM
Cara

Default Book through ship - no extra charge!

Just got back from cruising the Inside Passage on Celebrity Infinity - had a spectacular time!

My boyfriend and I are both a little over 250#. We were concerned about the extra charge for helicopter rides - but at the advice of PEB (thanks!) booked our flight through the cruise ship. Our Juneau flight to the Mendenhall Glacier was just $193 - and we were NOT charged extra. As earlier stated, they just put a few less people on the flight.

We loved the flight so much, in fact, that we booked another one on our own in Ketchikan - this time through Alpine Helicopters. Although their brochures did mention an extra charge for over 250 - they did not charge us. Frankly - we enjoyed the experience so much it would have been worth the extra $$$ - but we were thrilled to avoid the extra fees.

So - try booking through the cruise ship or double-checking with individual companies. And regardless - this is something worth every penny!

Old July 17th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Passenger

Just got back from the Mercury. We booked through the celebrity site and were only charge 193.00. Two of our party weighed more than 250 lbs. All they do on the bus that takes you to airport is ask you to write down on a slip of paper that they furnish what you weigh so they may figure out how many to put on a helicopter.