Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2001, 10:20 AM
Gina

Default Which of these excursions should we pick?

Juneau: Auk Bay sea kayaking (can you see wildlife up close?) or Wildlife sightseeing quest

Ketchikan:Misty Fjords seaplane or Neets Bay Bear Watch?

Skagway: We have pretty much decided on White Pass railway.

We won't be taking any helicopter rides as my husband is over 250 pounds and I don't do well with heights. We really want to see wildlife.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2001, 10:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Which of these excursions should we pick?

Juneau: What about whale watching. You will see some excellent wildlife. I recommend Orca Enterprises (www.alaskawhalewatching.com). Great tours!

Skagway: White Pass Train

Ketchikan: Do the bear watching. You will enough scenery from the ship as is cruises plus you said you would like to see wildlife. Check out www.islandwings.com and www.taquanair.com. Offer better rates than the ship and are reliable tour operators.

NOTE: BOTH MISTY FJORDS & BEAR WATCHING REQUIRE A FLIGHT VIA FLOATPLANE!
Old June 28th, 2001, 11:34 AM
Gina

Yea, I will deal with the floatplane and I don't think there is a weight limit is there?

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know about things to do around Anchorage like kayaking or rafting/

Thanks again!!
Old June 28th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Juneau- Kayaking doesn't see much wildlife if at all- maybe some seals. The wildlife quest is the whale watching- the other poster did not state if they have gone or just relaying information- I have been on both Orca and Dolphin- better option to go with them vs the ship tour. main reason 150- vs 20 passengers and 30 min longer whale watching- all go to the same area - Auke Bay with turn around at the Buoy. A great deal depends on when you are sailing for bear watching- best is Aug - early Sept. I have been to Anan and Neets Bay. Taquan does get some ship contracts. I always book direct and never take any ship excursions. I have also flown with both Taquan and Island Wings for a total of 4 trips. Misty Fjords is also a good option- again with the above companies. I recommend the RT flight and not the cruise/plane combo- takes up too much time and same scenery only a lot slower on the boat.
Old July 4th, 2001, 12:09 AM
Ruthann

We took the 13 day cruise on Ocean Princess May 21st. At Juneau we took the boat trip the wildlife quest. We saw lots of whales, and it was a wonderful experience. We also took the Yukon and White Pass Excursion which we enjoyed very much. They took us to eat at a place called Frontierland and there they had a lot of stuffed Alaskan animals. Very nice. There was a room there where they were selling bear rugs, and I have been thinking about that ever since we got back. I used to have my heart set on a bear rug, but my husband is an environmentalist, so I didn't give it much thought at the time....now I wish I had bought one and had it sent......afterall, they were already dead......

Overall we loved the cruise. The weather was perfect and the sights breathtaking. Already thinking would be nice to take another cruise, doing the boat up and back only. The only problem for us was the length of the time we were on the go. We all had colds at the end of the trip, and since we are seniors maybe the 13 days was a bit much.

If you do the Yukon trip, would you look more carefully at the bear rugs and price them etc. and send me some email after your trip? I just can't get that out of my mind....Thanks
Old July 5th, 2001, 12:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

White Pass RR was great. You can buy it on your own right in town at the station. Not out of the way at all. You'll go right past it when you go into town. Almost the first thing you come to. Take plenty film.