Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2001, 10:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Anchorage and Denali

Will be in Anchorage on 8-28-01 and need accomaditins for both Anchorage and
Denali, Any recomendations? Would also like to know how far it is to Denali from Anchorage driving time or miles.

Thanks,

Lee
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2001, 11:40 AM
Shar

Default Re: Anchorage and Denali

Hi Lee!
If you like B&B's the Dome Home B&B in Healy (about 10 miles away from the main gate of Denali) is wonderful!
In Anchorage, there's a tremendous selection of B&Bs, a lot depends on your taste and budget. I've got reservations for Kingsview, which sits high on a hill and has a beautiful view of Cook Inlet. I've never been to this one before, but it looks like a winner. My criteria is 1) Web Page, 2) $, 3) friendly hosts), and 3) hearty Alaskan breakfasts. Most B&Bs have web pages and the hosts have e-mail.
Shar
Old July 3rd, 2001, 12:51 PM
Yeoman

I think it is about 4 hours driving time to the Denali gate at mile 237 on the Parks Highway going north out of Anchorage. If you are going to ride a shuttle there, you will want to reserve it at:
http://www.nps.gov/dena/home/roadtour/index.html

We are staying at http://www.touchofwildernessbb.com/ 907/683-2459 and were also referred to Dome House 907/683-1239 (no vacancy) and Earthsong 907/683-2863

We decided NOT to stay in Anchorage itself (Walmart and MacDonalds) but to go about 35 miles north to the Matanuska & Susitna Valleys www.alaskavisit.com has a lengthy list of B&B's, cabins and motels, most of which with website links so you can check them out. They are less pricey than Anchorage too. They will also send you a tour guide...quickly.

Hope that answers some of your questions.
Old July 4th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Admiral

It is 240 miles 5 hour driving. I like staying in B & B's and have stayed in many on my trips. It is cheaper outside of Anchorage- I like Eagle River area, in Denali area I have stayed in both Healy and Cantwell. Again all these areas are cheaper. It is a big advantage to go on your own- allows you your freedom for many choices and offers far more dining options- which are costly and limited on tours. You also need to book ahead your shuttle into Denali- I recommend going at least as far as Eielson. www.nps.gov/dena/home/roadtour/index.html I also don't recommend the costly and limited tour buses at Denali- 3 times the price and you can't get off the buses. go cheap and far!!!!!!!!
Old July 5th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Bobear

If you want to see wildlife don't take the short trip in Denali. We did and where sadly disappointed. Everyone we talked to that saw significant amounts of wildlife took at least the 8 hour trip. We were on the 2 hour trip we saw one Elk [from a long way off] and one moose half covered by bushes. Good Luck.
Old July 6th, 2001, 07:02 PM
Admiral

I say this over and over- the costly cruisetours short change you with their short tours that are included in their packages. Most people just do not realize what they are missing. I do not recommend any trip less than to at least Eielson mile 66, none of the cruise tours go this far on the regular tours. It is a bargain to book your self at $23 this year on the shuttle bus, the tour bus prices are triple that for a shorter distance and no stop at the Eielson Visitor Center. You will see much much more on your own and not on a fixed schedule- much cheaper as well. Why go all that way to miss out?? (what's really bad is when you find out after your return )
Old July 7th, 2001, 06:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Thanks everyone

Thank you all for the information. We will probaly do a B&B and the park tour bus in Denali.