Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2001, 11:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Mendenhall Glacier by helicopter

Has anyone used Coastal Helicopters (Juneau) to visit the glaciers (Mendenhall) We are seriously considering flying with them versus what Celebrity has to offer. Prices are at least $40.00 person less than Celebrity. Appreciate any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2001, 01:14 PM
pookey

Default Re: Mendenhall Glacier by helicopter

hi we just got back from alaska and booked direct with coastal, it was wonderful, our pilot landed in a great spot and we walked around for quite awhile, definitly recommend them
Old July 5th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

How far in advance did you have to make reservations? Our cruise leaves on Sept.14.
Old July 5th, 2001, 03:24 PM
pookey

our cruise was on 6/23 we made reservations about 2 weeks before we left, but as with anything the earlier the better so as to get the time of day you prefer.
Old July 5th, 2001, 07:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Diana

I would book with Coastal as soon as possible. We made reservations 2 weeks ago for this and they only had one time left for our date of July 15th or at least they only mentioned one time available to me.... They don't charge you for the helicopter trip until the day you take it with them. They have a liberal cancellation policy. I can't remember the exact policy but they will explain it to you when you book the tour with them.
Old July 5th, 2001, 08:11 PM
Yeoman

We booked Coastal after repeated recommendations from many people on this board and others. (We don't go until early August.) What we read over and over about Coastal is that they are the very best and that the Juneau Coastal trip was the highlight of their Alaska cruises.

I don't think Coastal lands on Mendenhal, I think they land on Herbert Glacier or Taku.

You should phone them right away, their time is one hour less than Pacific time. 907/789-5600 Fax 907/789-7076 e-mail coastal@gci.net
http://www.coastalhelicopters.com/icefield.htm
Bon Voyage
Old July 5th, 2001, 08:33 PM
Kathy G

We landed on Herbert Glacier when we flew with Coastal in June. It was awesome - I was scared to death but it was a great experience. I would book ASAP as they rae very popular!

Kathy G
Old July 5th, 2001, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I think u're likely to enjoy the flight more if u land at a glacier other than Mendenhall.
The heli pilots up there now to refer to it as the McDonald's of glacier.. with so many choppers landing there.
We went to Herbert, and were the only ones there.. OUTSTANDING!
Regards,
Kuki
Old July 6th, 2001, 07:13 PM
Admiral

The only company that goes to Mendenhall is TEMSCO- only one with the permits. I have flown with 3 Juneau companies for a total of 5 trips and one trip out of Skagway. This is the best of the best tours. Coastal goes to Norris or Herbert Glacier. I don't agree that Mendenhall is the "McDonalds", excellent tour there as well and if you haven't been there you wouldn't know. All are spectacular and interesting and very different - even same glacier a year later. I prefer Coastal for the personal tours given vs the shutlle like excursions via ERA. I book a few weeks in advance. I see some people who are recommending have not gone yet?