Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2001, 09:46 PM
Browezilla

Default Ketchikan - Mountain Point Snorkelling

Has anyone tried this yet, or if you have it planned, would you mind posting a report here after you
return? I was a little skeptical about what you would see other than a bunch'a salmon, but after
reading Cara's report below for kayaking, I'm thinking "oh baby, snorkeling this would be great"

Author: carla (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 05-19-01 22:43

I'm sorry if other people have told you this already--I'm too lazy to read the threads--
we took the kayak tour and it was great! We did have unbelievable weather, so that might have
influenced our enjoyment. Neither of us had ever been in a kayak, but we had no problems. The
salmon were jumping right in front of us, and the water was so clear we saw tons of starfish, and
other sea creatures. It was also great because when you're in Alaska you want to try to experience it
like Alaskans (in some small way anyway).

Reply To This Message
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2001, 09:51 PM
browezilla

Default Re: Ketchikan - Mountain Point Snorkelling

On http://travel.discovery.com/dest/wei...tc_p/ship.html

I found this write-up:

Snorkeling/Scuba Diving at Mountain Point—Yes, it’s possible to have underwater adventures in
Alaska. (Luckily, wet suits are provided.) Sea cucumbers, huge sea urchins, sunflower starfish as big
as car tires and—if you’re there at the right time—large king salmon are among the creatures you
might see. All equipment provided. You must be in very good physical condition; divers must have C
cards. 3 hours. Snorkeling about US$55, diving about US$155.
Old July 12th, 2001, 04:25 PM
aerotd

Default Snorkelling was OK

We did the Mountain Point Snorkeling Excursion on our alaska cruise a few weeks back. It was an OK trip. The guides were great and they had nice equipment. You spend about 1 to 1.5 hours in the water. It is very cold but, you are plenty warm in the wetsuit if you get one that fits. Make very sure it is tight and covers all your skin. It should be a struggle to get it on if you don't want to be cold later. I was given a suit that was too loose but since I am a diver I knew to ask for a smaller one. There were several people in our group who didn't and they were cold. The snorkeling area was nice. It was a little beach area with some rock formations just off the shore where tons of starfish and other things lived. The water was ok, probably about 15 feet of visibility but, the day we went it was overcast and not enough light for the underwater camera to work. The surf is not bad, just a little rocking to get used to. My problem with the tour was we were told we had to stay together in a tight group. I would have liked to spread out a little more so we didn't have to worry about getting kicked or having to look thru all the muck people were kicking up. We saw tons of starfish and the guides would bring up anything else they spotted so everyone got a good look and could touch if they wanted. It was probably worth the price (only about $50 per person) but I've been to much better snorkeling areas so was not as impressed as the other people. But, now we can say we wnet snorkelling in Alaska.