Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2001, 12:20 PM
First Mate

Default Whitepass Rail/Air tour -Juneau

Sailing on Infinity July 20th .Is it cheaper to book Whitepass at the Station or on ship ? Celebrity wants $94.00. If wait to book on shore, would train likely be full ? In Juneau, anyone had experience booking float plane tours ? How best to book ? Helicopter appears to be much more expensive vs plane. Has anyone done both and can give first hand opinion ? Thanks for your help . Tom
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2001, 04:50 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Whitepass Rail/Air tour -Juneau

Tom, theyare both very different. Both are lots of fun, and they give u a different prospective. If u can afford to do both, I would do both.

The float plane over the Misty Fjords is an incredible flight. U go on a six seater plane, and u get the overviw of the fjord. If there are animals below, the pilot will go down to give u a closer look. We saw bears, and seals, etc.

the helicopter tour is equally exciting...But different...U actually land on the glacier, and that is really something o see. Oh by the way on the float plane, u land on a lake, and that is also interesting...
Cheryl
Old July 15th, 2001, 12:31 AM
Rob H

My sister-in-law indicated the train is full as it leaves from the ship dock, You are talking about the 3 1/2 trip,, presume
Old July 16th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Admiral

I would not take the chance of booking any of the above at the dock. you may be able to book the train direct $82 www.whitepassrailroad.com I have gone on all 3 of the above tours and the helicopter is indeed better than any float plane. go with www.coastalhelicopter.com for about $160 for a single landing. float plane out of Ketchikan either www.taquanair.com or www.islandwings.com I have gone with all of the above companies, you won't go wrong.
Old July 17th, 2001, 12:23 AM
First Mate

Thanks for all your help. Have booked Whitepass and Helicopter. Thanks again for Input - Tom
Old July 20th, 2001, 11:58 PM
Passenger

Hi,

I am going to alaska in Sept. planning on the Mendenhall float trip in Juneau and the Sea otter wildlife tour in Sitka any suggestions on these two excursions so many to chose just trying to see some wildlife and some nice scenary. Any input will HELP!!

Thanks
Old August 10th, 2001, 02:36 AM
Passenger

I had originally planned to take the Mendenhall float trip in Juneau, but after reading several different msg boards, I decided against it. Many negative comments about the trip scenery consisting only of trees, backyards of houses, and an eagle or two (if you're lucky). On the other hand, lots of good reviews about whale watching in Juneau with Capt. Larry (www.alaskawhalewatching.com) or dolphin (www.dolphintours.com). If you don't want to book a trip on your own, each cruiseline offers its own whale watching tour (Princess, for example, offers the wildlife sightseeing quest which has gotten very good reviews).