Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2001, 12:23 PM
P.J.

Default Canadian Cash

In Victoria and Vancouver is it adviseable to carry Canadian money? Any advantages? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Canadian Cash

We will hit the airport ATM for taxi fare, tip and a stop at a liquor store on the way. We figure whatever money is left over can be spent onboard so I won't be stuck with a bunch of Canadian coins. I'm thinking I will be excessive and get abut $80.
Old July 16th, 2001, 01:39 PM
Rob H

If you allow for both ways on your taxi in CDN and purchase
you will have about $20 left over but you cannot use on Ship if its policy is US$ only.
Old July 16th, 2001, 07:38 PM
Yes2cruising

We never had any problem using US dollars in Vancouver or Victoria. It is best to use your credit card where accepted.
Old July 17th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Yeoman

I don't know about the taxi drivers in Vancouver, but here in San Francisco, a very cosmopolitan town, you'd better have good old U.S. dollars for the taxi drivers. These guys don't have international banking contacts and don't have time to run and change all kinds of denominations. I think it is short-sighted to expect other countries to bend to us. (A little "ugly American".) Get some Canadian dollars to pay for your taxi. It is simple to do at the airport ATM. According to my Princess Cruise Answer Book, Princess accepts British, US, and Canadian currency. I am only planning to take a taxi one-way in Vancouver, so $80 is more than I will need by a long sight. I am flying home out of Anchorage.
Old July 18th, 2001, 12:27 AM
Rob H

Your observation is valid but I did not read they wanted to use CDN $ in your lovely city San Franciso.

Both Victoria and Vancouver are gateway cities to USA and have a lot of tourists from USA because of one thing our great exchange rate. From a service view , a lot of our tourist areas will accept US$ and give you a good exchange rate. Does not beat the bank though.
Thats the prime reason, folks would accept.
Having said that though, I agree, do your best to pay in local currency and these days, ATM's are in the airport.
Our cab's also accept major credit cards..

cheers
Rob H
Victoria BC
Old July 18th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Yeoman

Having a bad day Rob?
Old July 18th, 2001, 02:30 PM
cruiseryyc

Thanks Cheryl for your observations re using proper currency in different countries. Yes the US $ would be accepted in Vancouver, however it is presumptuous of our neighbours to the south to just expect it. I have tried to use CDN $ in bordering US states and some merchants down there won't even accept a CDN penny.

Hey PJ have a great visit in Vancouver and Victoria!
Old July 18th, 2001, 05:18 PM
P.J.

Thanks for the help!
Old July 19th, 2001, 12:03 AM
Rob H

Not really, thought I was upbeat ..>
It is nice to see everybody's view on things and how we interpet someone's note: Normally gateway cities who depend on cross border tourists make some allowance but its not the norm in majority of places.

I can remember trying to pay for breakfast in New York with CDN money after I just got off the bus, the reaction to my coloured money was quite interesting.
Mind you, ATM's did not exist in those days

take care Cheryl

Rob
Old July 20th, 2001, 01:21 AM
Dave B.

I'v always used my Bank card or Visa in other parts of the US. And had no problems. I would suggesty that you use these for purchases and pick up $50.00 for small things like tips etc. You will find that most bisnesses plus cabs will take ATM or visa, MC, amex etc. Make sure that you check out Stanley Park or Gastown. Just ignor the panhandlers & beggers. WE DO.
Dave B. Vancouver BC
Old July 21st, 2001, 12:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Dave B. wrote:
. Just ignor the panhandlers &
> beggers. WE DO.
> Dave B. Vancouver BC

Unless one of the beggars happens to be wearing antlers and a thong, then please be VERY generous and contribute to my cruise fund<G>

Regards,
Kuki
Old July 25th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Ty Send a message via Yahoo to Ty

well some places offer a fair exchange for the US $ but you should keep some cash