Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2001, 01:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Formal night Princess cruise

Will be on the Alaska cruise in August and was wondering if most guest wear a tux or suit on formal nite. Have heard conflicting stories. That nearly everone wears a tux or that most wear a suit. Any information would be appreciated. Thanls.
Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Formal night Princess cruise

Lee,
I hve been on 8 princess cruises and have never worn a tux - about 50% or less do wear tuxes - a basic navy or black suit will be adequate - but not with orange socks. We will be on the Sea Princess southbound on September 1, 2001.

Have a nice cruise
Old July 29th, 2001, 02:47 PM
aladyncal

I have also heard that Alaskan cruises are less formal even than the Caribbean cruises. I've done the Caribbean several times and will find out for myself about the Alaska attire in a few weeks.
Old July 29th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Audrey Belcher

We were on the dawn princess a few weeks ago and there were some tuxes but my husband always wears his western suit and nobody at our table were in tuxes. I think on any cruise you wear what you like tux, suits ect. I did find the Alaska cruise less formal in everyway.
Old July 30th, 2001, 11:23 AM
browezilla

I was on the Sun Princess in early July. Out of the 6 cruises I've taken, this was by far the least formal. At the formal nights, I'd say there were 10-15% tuxes, 10-15% various suits & sport coats, the remainder were dark suits such as navy blue business suit.

On the other 5 "smart casual" nights, we saw everything from suits to jeans & tee shirts. There weren't many suits, but nor were there many jeans & tee shirts. The average man probably wore what I'd call business casual, nice slacks with a long sleeve colared shirt. Most women wore slacks and a top.
Old July 30th, 2001, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Since Princess has adopted Personal Choice, the dress code for formal attire has come down a peg. You will find most gentlemen in suits rather than a tux now.
Bon Voyage
Old August 2nd, 2001, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Formality on all cruises has dropped on the major lines- not just Alaska cruises. You will see a mix but tuxes will be fewer than suits.
Old August 2nd, 2001, 06:33 PM
First Mate

Just returned from the Princess Regal last Sunday. Formal nights were so elegant. Ladies seem to wear black predominately. The children were so adorable in their suits and frocks. The professional photographers did a very nice job of high-end photography in my opinion. The 8 x 10's were $19.95 and the 5 x 7's were $6.95.
Old August 3rd, 2001, 02:55 PM
Passenger

Most men were in suits or dress pants and sports coats. Some men did the tux but the majority were in suits. Most women were in elegant wear with lots of black and sparkles. As long as you are not is just leisure wear, you will be dressed appropriately. It is a lovely time on formal nights and you will have many opportunities to have your picture taken. They will post your pics the next day for your purchase. Lee wrote:
>
>
> Will be on the Alaska cruise in August and was wondering if
> most guest wear a tux or suit on formal nite. Have heard
> conflicting stories. That nearly everone wears a tux or that
> most wear a suit. Any information would be appreciated. Thanls.
Old August 4th, 2001, 06:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Ocean Princess southbound in June and would have felt out of place in a business suit on formal night. ( I felt out of place on semi-formal night without a jacket on.) However, we did dine in conventional dining and not the alternative, which may be more semi-formal.

My wife and I were very apprehensive about formal nights, but really enjoyed them a lot. (And I wear jeans and polo shirts to business meetings.)