Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2001, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Default Alaska - Clothes

Heading for Alaska on 8-25-01 for a six day land tour from Fairbanks to Anchorage then a seven day south to Vancouver on the Sea Princess - we still don't know what kind of clothes to pack - We are from Michigan so we know cold weather - do we pack spring, fall or heavy winter stuff? Any help would be appreciated!

Ron
rjandy@voyager.net
Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2001, 07:45 PM
Kathy G

Default Re: Alaska - Clothes

LAYERS! Take clothes for warm and cool weather. We took windbreakers, long pants, cotton sweaters and short sleeve things. You will find you put things on and take them off. Something waterproof is needed along with a hat and gloves. I don't think you will need any shorts!! Pack a bathing suit for the hot tub or pool. Be prepared for anything.

Kathy G
Old August 15th, 2001, 08:11 PM
First Mate

leave the heavy winter stuff home. Otherwise, layer as Kathy suggested. I'm going next week; weather looks to be in the 60s, but they have had days in the 70s.

have a great cruise!
Old August 16th, 2001, 11:49 AM
First Mate

Hi Ron
We're doing the same land/cruise tour also which begins on 8/22 in Fairbanks and then 8/27 the Sun Princess. Maybe we'll pass each other. From what I read on these boards these good folks before me will be echoed about wearing layers. That's what I plan to do. Are you as excited as my hubby and I are? I can hardly work. Can't wait. The last cruise we took was on our honeymoon - 37 years ago. I KNOW things have changed. Have a great land/cruise!!!!!!
Old August 16th, 2001, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Bonnie

This our eighth cruise - all on Princess - mostly in the Caribbean - also did the Med-Greek islands. This our first to Alaska - I guess layers is it!

Ron & Connie
Old August 17th, 2001, 07:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Don't forget your sunglasses!

Patricia
Old August 18th, 2001, 02:05 AM
Rob H

We just got home tonight from the Infinity.
Layers is valid, bring sunscreen as you can get sunburned sitting on deck due to water reflection amd bright sun, A simple light spring / walking nylon jacket over a fleece or sweater does the trick.
Nice long sleeve cotton / wolloen shirts.
I packed shorts, never used them and only used a polo shirt once.
Formal night , used a dark suit with two different shirts and ties, Informal , a blue blazer and grey pants did the trick.

Rob
Old August 18th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Passenger

Rob, we are sailing on the Infinity 9/14. Any advice on evening attire? Do they have 2 informal, 2 formal and 3 casual nights? How dressy were the formal nights? Many tuxedos? Does the Infinity have fresh OJ machines like they do on HAL? Does the buffet salad bar have a good veriety of veggies?

Thanks a bunch,
Teri
Old August 19th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Rob H

Hi Teri,
They have two Formal nights where photos can be taken in lobby and they come around to your table also. The Informal nights are two and the casual are three.
1st night and last night are casual with second night and sixth night as the formals.
For some reason people tend to think informal as casual but they do explain.
My wife wore long dresses like when she goes out to dinner at an upscale resort and on the formal nights wore a silk dress / blouse with a black wrap ( we bought wrap at the TIE store for $20) and of course some neck and earring stuff).

I did not see a lot of tuxedos on men, majority (60 %) were dark suits and the occasional light suit with some wearing medals ! and one guy wearing his kilt. In my opinion, it is the women who really dress up but more in the package, nice dresses or pant suits or what they call the 'black number', works anywhere.
the odd guy wore a polo shirt and jacket on informal night and some had a jacket with blue jeans. Parents tended to dress up their kids relly nice.

I did not see fresh orange juice machines but they do have on the
buffet deck, machines for grape juice, apple juice et cetra,

On the buffet deck, yes , they seemed to have a good selection of fruit and veggies.

Pls email me at reholloway@telus.net if you ahve some more questions, be pleased to reply.

Rob
Old August 19th, 2001, 11:03 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark

We are from Ohio and just returned from our cruise. We took lined windpants, and polar fleece pullovers. We hardly needed either but were glad to have them in Glacier Bay. A good windbreaker is a required article. Dress comfortable and in layers. We were hot more than cold. Email me direct if you have further questions.
Old August 20th, 2001, 04:01 PM
drewsmama

I was on the Celebrity Infinity 8/10-8/17. We had fabulous weather - clear skies and not a drop of rain! The weather was in the 70's and up to 80 in Juneau. I would suggest layers and definitely bring a windproof jacket. Also be prepared for rain. Definitely have mostly jeans, long pants but include a couple pairs of shorts. Don't forget your bathing suit. We had such great weather a lot of people swam. I'd suggest packing it in your carry-on so if you board early, you can hit the pool and jacuzzi right away.

On the cruise there was 2 formal nights - men mostly in suits. Women were really decked out. On the 2 informal nights, men wore blazers, women wore dresses and pantsuits. Casual nights we saw dockers, capri pants, casual dresses.

Hope this helps and have a wonderful time!
Old August 20th, 2001, 07:29 PM
Rob H

I guess we were on the same trip. Wonder how we missed each other.
Glad you enjoyed your trip
Old August 20th, 2001, 07:37 PM
drewsmama

You may have seen my husband on deck. Asian, 30ish with the heavy-duty camera gear.
Old August 20th, 2001, 10:25 PM
Rob H

Actually we did per my wife, it was on the Glacier day and the photographer commented on the length of his camera, near the chap selling hot chocolate from the booth.
cheers