Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2001, 08:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Online travel agent

Has anyone dealt with an online travel agency that has excellent deals and a good reputation? We'd like to contact them and get a quote for an Alaska cruise and tour. They seem to have better deals than local agents but we're a little bit apprehensive dealing with a "stranger". Any opinions are welcomed!! Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2001, 09:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Online travel agent

Since you are considering an online agent- why not contact several? Easy to do with cut and paste. Do you need a lot of service? or just a valid ticket? I book through several agents and always go with price since I require no extra service and only the cheap ticket.
Old September 12th, 2001, 11:12 PM
BOATSIE

Below is my personal account on how I booked my last cruise:

Used BUYCRUISES.COM with much success. First time booking a cruise on-line (in reality you call them on 1-800 # listed on website) and was very apprehensive at first dealing with a faceless being. They were, however, very courteous, friendly and promptly answered my e-mails and calls. They honored all price decreases I found and I received the documents via 2-day priority 4 weeks prior to the cruise (I booked my own air). I did all the research beforehand knowing what ship, itinerary, and dates I wanted. I then shopped around and contacted two face-to-face local TAs (who took 3 and 5 days to return my inquires); one on-line private TA; and two large internet cruise TA companies. The lagtime from the local TAs along with one quoting the cruise brochure price ($2150ea) and the other trying to "push" me to a more "upscale" cruise (read: higher commission) totally turned me off. The on-line private TA quoted me a price $100 less than brochure ($2050 each). BUYCRUISES.COM beat them all with a $1890 price which eventually whittled its way down to $1350 (all prices included port charges) before departure! I did a lot of web searching to lock in this price and think I did pretty good. I also think they may have had to suck up their commission in the process. But hey, that's life. I don't expect this to happen again (just lucky I think), but I would use BUYCRUISE.COM again (if they'd have me). Good luck finding a cruise TA!
Old October 24th, 2001, 07:35 AM
Passenger

Try Expedia.com - they are very reliable.