Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2001, 01:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Is an Alaskan cruise fun for kids?

My kids are saying that Alaska will be too cold & rainy to have any fun, is this true. Is Alaska more for adults?
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Is an Alaskan cruise fun for kids?

With your kids telling you that should be a clue. I have cruised 9 times to Alaska and have seen bored uninterested kids on every one. The kids centers do a good job at offering varied activities. My now 13 year old son has been on 6 of those cruises and has a strong interest but the now 17 year old hasn't gone past the second trip.
Old October 24th, 2001, 01:55 PM
Captain

If your kids are not into watching wildlife and looking at mountains and glaciers it will probably be dull for them in Alaska. To me Alaska is more for people of any age who love the rugged outdoors. Now my kids would have loved Alaska as kids because they loved being out in the woods and being out in natural suroundings, but as I said if they are more into beaches, nintendo or parks they would probably have more fun on the ship than in Alaska.

You will have to decide if they would lke it. It is beautiful and perhaps if they were lucky enough to see some whales and other wildlife they may like it.
Old October 24th, 2001, 02:18 PM
Admiral

On a cruise to Alaska in 1999 onboard Regal Princess, there were only about 25 or so young people on board, under 16. Hubby and I were on a forward open deck just relaxing and 'taking in' all of the pristene wilderness of Alaska. There were 3 young people, maybe ages 10 & 12 & 14, standing at the rail. I approached them and asked if one of them might take a picture of hubby and I. All 3 jumped at the chance because they said they were 'bored out of their shoes'. During our conversation with these young people it became quite apparent that they would have been much happier on a beach or at an amusement park. These were really nice young people but all said there was just nothing for them to do. At first, I thought they have to be kidding. They are in Alaska. But after considering their boredom, we both realized that if you don't like scenery, mountains, glaciers, wildlife.......if you are not old enough to gamble or drink.......if you do not like nature lectures.....quite possibly you would be bored on an Alaskan cruise. When we returned home, I asked my friend's granddaughter (who is 14) if she would like to go on a cruise to Alaska. The first thing she asked me was 'what is there to do in alaska'?........I began with wildlife, mountains, glaciers.....No, she said to me, what is there to do.......I guess she answered my question........
Old October 25th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Captain

Sue there is a lot for kids to do in Alaska but for the most part it is not related to video games or organized sports. There is always fishing, hiking, kayaking, river rafting but this is not what most kids brought up in a city care to do. My kids loved and still love doing those kind of things but than again that is what we do in Northern Minnesota.
Old October 25th, 2001, 06:39 PM
Sue & Bill

PEB--I am sure that hiking, fishing, etc. are all wonderful things that a lot of young people woud enjoy, but when you consider that on a normal inside passage trip, you are in Juneau for 9 hours, Skagway 12 hours & Sitka 6 hours. Time spent getting on and off the ship, going to & from excursions, etc. translates to about 24 hours port time. The rest of the time is spent on the ship viewing mountains, glaciers & some wildlife. Even the young people we spent time with on the Regal Princess said they loved the shore excursions, but there just wasn't anything to do on the ship. Maybe there are more planned activities for young people today, but most of us know how hard it is to keep a teenager satisfied.
Old October 26th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Captain

I agree with you. Most teenagers now days would be bored there are some who would not however. I know what it is like having teenagers. My kids are in their 20's so it is not that long ago that they were teenagers. Everyone of my kids would have loved Alaska and the cruise. My kids love the outdoors and would have enjoyed time on the decks looking for wildlife. My kids were raised on doing things in the outdoors and dealing with wildlife and they still do it on their own since they have moved out on their own.

As I said I agree that most teenagers would probably be bored but than again some would not. You have to know what your kids enjoy doing. If I stated it wrong and you took it the wrong way I am sorry.
Old October 26th, 2001, 07:48 PM
Sue & Bill

No Problem I just related a story from experience. Too bad more young people don't have the opportunity to experience some of the 'wonders of nature' like Alaska or even a good old 'family camping trip'. A family together, doing anything, is wonderful to see in this fast-paced world.......My kids are in their 30's now and have children of their own but they still remember some of the family vacations we took to many different places. I am so glad my husband and I introduced vacationing to our boys. Today, they travel with their own families but I am reminded by them many times that they loved all the places we traveled to many years ago. We always managed to do 'fun things' for the boys but we always sought out industrial tours, museums, zoos, etc. so just maybe they would learn a little something while spending 'family time'. The best part of a family vacation is to see the kids 'eyes light up' when you have shown them something new......
Old October 27th, 2001, 12:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Here's a link to a story I wrote about a cruise to Alaska with our kids two years ago.
<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/families/kuki-alaska.cfm>
My kids actually preferred the Alaska cruise to the Caribbean.

Regards,
Kuki
Old October 30th, 2001, 07:37 PM
stevesan

Interesting responses. I posed this same question last month and got positive, mostly enthusiastic, replies. Makes one wonder if how the question is worded, in this case slanted in a negative direction, maybe influences the responses. I think mine was worded neutral.
Old December 21st, 2001, 02:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lindsay
Default To Sue and Bill re: Regal Princess and kids

Maybe that says it all----the kids were bored on the REGAL PRINCESS. Your post made me realize that waiting to sail on the Radiance of the Seas in 2003 out of Vancouver rather than sail from SF on the Regal Princess makes even more sense to me now. I'm not saying our daughter (who will be 10 in 2002) would necessarily be bored...but I can tell you, it wouldn't be a picnic sailing with her if she was! I think on a cruise to Alaska (for kids) there needs to be enough activity on board to keep them busy in between ports. Even more so on the Regal Princess in 2002 since she'll be sailing for 10 nights. The first two days are at sea with 2 more additonal sea days. There really needs to be enough on board to keep the young people entertained, just as there is for the adults...which makes my point about Regal Princess and how I'm wondering if she's the ideal ship for kids in the first place. After all, the Youth Center was added as an afterthought not that long ago. Compare that to the Radiance which has a very dedicated area for kids and teens, complete with water slide pool, climbing wall, etc.