CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Roughs seas out of SF to Alaska??? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/246080-roughs-seas-out-sf-alaska.html)

Lindsay December 2nd, 2001 01:26 PM

Roughs seas out of SF to Alaska???

I recently heard that the seas out of San Francisco can be rough on the way to Alaska because you're in open seas part of the way. We've been considering this cruise, but both my husband and I are terribly prone to seasickness, even with Bonine. While I am thrilled to be able to sail from so close to home, I'm now wondering if we might be better off waiting and taking a roundtrip Vancouver cruise. We had a past crusising experience where we ran into very rough seas and it was not pretty! It was all we could do to lift our heads off the pillow. And when we got off that ship, we never looked back! Anyway, any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Aside from the rough sea factor, I'm beginning to think there are more negatives than the one positive of sailing on the Regal Princess out of San Francisco! :)

1.--The ship's layout isn't ideal for viewing Alaska--not a lot of open deck space or wrap-around promenade.
2.--Tracy Arm instead of Hubbard or Glacier Bay
3.--May or may not be as suited for kids (10 day cruise)
4.--And, now the rough seas.

All I can say is Waaaaaahhhhh! <grin>

lougee December 2nd, 2001 01:35 PM

Re: Roughs seas out of SF to Alaska???

consider looking at the hal site --www.hollandamerica.com -----they have an extensive lists of alaska trips ----many out of seattle and vancouver ----we are on the zaandam ---inside passage aug 10 out of vanc

Lindsay December 2nd, 2001 08:19 PM

lougee: Roughs seas out of SF to Alaska???

How is HAL for kids, though? If we don't do the SF sailing, we'll wait till 2003. Thanks for your reply!

Lew December 2nd, 2001 08:21 PM

While the time of year may be a factor in the problem of rough seas, there is no
doubt that for many years the ocean outside the Golden Gate has been reputed
to be very rough. You will also remember that the entire trip from San Francisco
to B.C. will be in open seas. The inside passage is from Vancouver to Alaska.
ENJOY

Karen December 2nd, 2001 10:01 PM

Re: lougee: Roughs seas out of SF to Alaska???

My now 14 year old son really liked HAL for Alaska- went twice on HAL plus 3 other lines to Alaska. The program is excellent with a lot of individual attention and generous give aways. Best of all is the link to the ship naturalist. Don't worry about your daughter- all these plans are driving you crazy. Just go!!!!!

Lindsay December 4th, 2001 02:02 AM

Thanks, all, for your replies! I figure a day or two of seasickness might be worth more than having to transport ourselves up to Vancouver. I'm not one to fly if I can help it. :) And, it would be a LONG trip up there by car or train. Maybe if we take our Bonine religiously BEFORE any signs of motion sickness hits us, we'll be okay. Is this why they don't utilize the SF port more?

SusanW December 5th, 2001 10:50 PM

I was on the Infinity repositioning cruise last May from SF to Alaska. About 15 minutes after sailing under the golden gate bridge, we hit very rough water. I ended up having to leave the dinner table early and spent the next 24 hours in bed. I am not sure if this was an unusual occurance or was weather related. I am not prone to sea sickness, our waiter told us that out of 1800 people onboard they had 600 no shows for dinner.

Karen December 6th, 2001 09:17 AM

This is typical. The sailing in the Pacific is rougher than the Atlantic. But I really like the rough sailing - you know you are on a ship. :) I whale watch out of Half Moon Bay Ca. and always allow 3 days due to the frequent cancelations.