Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 31st, 2001, 07:18 PM
Passenger

Default Car vs. Motorcoach to Seward

Any suggestions? We really aren't the 'motorcoach' kind of people and would prefer the leisurely-stop-when-we-want route. We are arriving the day before departure. All the rental companies I've checked into so far aren't giving me anything that I can plan on. There are 4 of us, so even if we spend the $200+ that it would cost for the motorcoach on a one-way rental from Anchorage to Seward I think it would be worth it to be on our own.

Also, what are the transfer options to the Vancouver airport at the end of the cruise? Taxi? How much? Shuttle? etc.

Thanks! I'm just trying to get an early handle on some of the mundane but necessary issues.
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2002, 08:25 PM
Shar

Default Re: Car vs. Motorcoach to Seward

Roz,
I'd really go for the rental car and leisurely drive, it's really beautiful. There are many B&Bs in Seward that are worthwhile - especially if you'd like to meet some real Alaskans. Go for a mini-van so you'll have plenty of space for your luggage!! Last Sept we rented a Ford Taurus sized car for three of us and luckily, they didn't have anything but a van to give us. I guarantee with 2 women and one man, we wouldn't have had space in the Taurus!

Shar
Old January 2nd, 2002, 08:30 PM
Admiral

What ever you decide I would still book a car NOW, cancel if your plans change- Hertz is the only major company Anchorage- Seward. You are not allowing yourself enough time to do much more than the transfer, where do you plan to overnight?? I would suggest Anchorage- so you can see something there then drive to Seward the day of sailing- since ships usually sail later. Consider touring Anchorage and taking a short drive north to Eklutna- the only real native spirt houses you will see on your trip-25 miles north of Anchorage. Make the most of your time- ideally add several days??? Vancouver- taxis are about $25 to the airport- my suggestion of transfer.
Old January 3rd, 2002, 10:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am trying to find a one way car rental from Anchorage to Seward next June and am having no luck.I have called Hertz and they tell me no one ways. Does anyone have any info or do we take the train?
Old January 4th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Admiral

You don't mention if this is for multidays??? I only rent my costly one way Anchorage- Seward rentals for as long as I need it, then turn it in for a cheap round trip Anchorage car for other touring- (or reverse). Are you booking via the web??? Otherwise try the Anchorage office direct, you may also try picking up at a different time. Most of all keep trying as there will be cancelations. The train is usually cheaper for 2 people $55 leaves Anchorage 0645, very scenic ride, different from the Seward Highway.