Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2002, 07:28 PM
Passenger

Default First Alaska Cruise

I am considering my first Alaska cruise and somewhat overwhelmed by the all the types of cruises that are available.

What the pro and cons of a roundtrip vancouver cruise versus a one way cruise between Vancouver and Seward?
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2002, 08:32 PM
Shar

Default Re: First Alaska Cruise

Hi Alison!

The big advantage for going one way (for me) was the opportunity to spend time inland and see something besides inside passage towns. The Kenai Peninsula is beautiful and the roads are in great shape. Anchorage is worth a visit and Denali is an opportunity you shouldn't miss!

The round-trip advantage of Vancouver was the shorter flying distance, especially if you live somewhere other than the west coast. LAX to ANC was around 5 1/2 hours.

Shar
Old January 2nd, 2002, 01:28 PM
Captain

For me the best things to see on an Alaskan cruise are north of the inside passage. Even though the whole trip is great the views are better the farther north you go.

The one advantage of roundtrip Vancouver is if you book your airfare a round trip ticket is cheaper than a ticket flying to one place and a flight back from another.
Old January 2nd, 2002, 08:51 PM
Admiral

I don't recommend any one way trips without at least 5 additional interior touring days. It is a big expense in time and money not to. All cruises do inside passage. Choose carefully your ports, glacier ( Glacier Bay my clear preference) and time in ports. Additional factors for me is price and date- really like going mid to late August. BUT do not consider a round trip- a sloppy second- it's a great trip for the time and money!!!