LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2002, 07:29 PM
Passenger

Default Flying East Coast to Vancouver

Although in the past I have arranged my own air for Caribbean cruises
(from Phila), is it better to let the cruise line take care of it for
an Alaska cruise? How does it work ? Do they fly you directly to
Vancouver, or to Seattle with a bus to Vancouver? Can you pay a small
air deviation charge for a direct flight to Vancouver?

Typically, what type of flights and schedule and times would a cruise
line book for you from Phila to Vancouver and return, or a return from
Seward?
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2002, 02:08 PM
samplecd

Default Re: Flying East Coast to Vancouver

I am flying from the Mid-west to Vancouver in May for the Carnival Sprit Northbound alaska cruise. I spoke with the representative and they said that flights directly to Vancouver are rare if at all. Mostly they fly you into Seattle and put you on a bus to Vancouver. Also, Seward is a very small town so ifyou are disembarking there you will be taken on a 3 hr bus trip to Anchorage (no way to fly out of Seward) and then flown out of Anchorage. If you are going on a roundtrip cruise (start in Vancouver, end in Vancouver) and you are going to take Carnival flights you will most likely have to ride back to Seattle and fly out there. I have personally arranged for my own flight direct to Vancouver and then out of Anchorage to home for cheaper ($150 US Dollars cheaper per person) than what the cruise line wanted to charge me to fly into Seattle. (look at American they are cheaper nowadays)

If any more questions feel free to email me

Cynthia
Old January 2nd, 2002, 08:03 PM
Suzie

We live in PA, and we're using frequent flyer miles for our r/t Seattle cruise in July. However, check out US AIR prices. HAL wants $700 pp, and I found prices around $350 on different web sites. If you need to fly out of Seattle from a Vancouver cruise, I've been told not to book a flight earlier than around 2:00. The bus from vancouver takes several hours. Hope this helps.
Old January 2nd, 2002, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Suzie wrote:
>
, I've been told not to book a flight
> earlier than around 2:00. The bus from vancouver takes
> several hours. Hope this helps.

You will NOT make this Seattle flight, with the 2 hour prior check in, likely to continue. I have driven this several times and DID make this particular flight BUT, I knew where I was going- was off the ship before 9am, (not likely on the larger ships now sailing) etc. the buses wait until they are full and stop at all the airlines, USAirways is one of the last terminals, there are also more delays at the boarder. Your other option for the same day departure is the several overnight flights. (no east coast flights between 2pm and late evening)
Old January 2nd, 2002, 09:00 PM
Admiral

I always book my own flights. That way you know in advance the schedule and have complete control. There are more flights out of Seattle but a lot of cruisers do fly out of Vancouver. Do a little research and see what you can come up with.
Old January 4th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Passenger

Check out the Air Canada website, they offer service from most US major cities to YVR.
Old January 4th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

I checked with Alaska Air yesterday pm and found flights from Seattle to Vancouver that back again for $110.00 P.P.
Old January 6th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Admiral

The only problem with booking 2 separate legs is the likeliness of not having your bags transfered to your next airline. You would have to pick up your bags at baggage claim then recheck them.
Old January 18th, 2002, 10:13 PM
didi7

I found a MUCH better fare this week than that offered by Celebrity with Continental. Direct flight from Newark to Vancouver & return from Anchorage to Newark (senior rate) was under $1000 for 2. Cruise wanted over $800 apiece + additional surcharge if we were doing the land portion on our own.
Old February 1st, 2002, 09:03 AM
Cathey

Try Air Canada, we were booked on American but they cancelled the direct and made it a stop off. Leaving Kennedy to Vancover direct with Air Canada. Great rates too. $300 cheaper than booking with the cruise line.
Old March 9th, 2002, 06:10 PM
frankie

Hi, We bought tickets through pricesline.com for 14 people from newark, nj to vancouver with 1 stop at houston, tx on contenital and we're staying in vancouver for 3nights before cruise and 1 nights after. We got the tickets for $270 + 50 tx rt pp. hotel at renssaince for $37 a night per room for 4 people. We've save some money but we need to waste time for the stop over...But we've SAVE a lot $$$$......