Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2002, 06:52 PM
First Mate

Default Great Alaska Toursaver Coupon Book

As Greg asked earlier under another subject, does anyone have any specifics on this coupon book. It was advertised in my local paper travel section today and I found it earlier on another web site. But, are there lots of restrictions on use? When you only have a week on land plus 3 ports, we don't have time to work on a tightly restricted coupon. Plus, for someone who has been to Alaska, are there numerous magazines and coupon books (freebies from the tour companies) available in the ports and major cities or better yet from local chamber of commerce in advance?
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Great Alaska Toursaver Coupon Book

I got my book today and was disappointed in the restrictions on the tours that I thought that I would use.We will be in Denali on Mon and Tues and the Tundra tour and Dinner theater are only good on Fri, Sat and Sun.If you want to take trains and guided tours I guess it would be good ,but we will have trouble fitting into their scedules.I probably won't loose the 99.00 because I will find things. If you would like more detailed info just ask.
Old January 14th, 2002, 10:35 PM
First Mate

Shelley,
that is what I was afraid of, when most of us have so little time to squeeze in as much as possible. I would love to save some $ but like you said, the days have to match up. Thanks for the input. I'll check back in a few days and see if it looks better or worse. When are you planning on being in Denali? We just moved our trip back a week to 5/27 make sure the park road would be open unless there is a late snow.
Old January 15th, 2002, 11:33 PM
Passenger

I saw that book online ....

http://www.toursaver.com/
Old January 18th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Admiral

I used the toursaver 2 seasons ago and had no problem getting my moneys worth. I spent 1 week on land and was able to fit in what I wanted. BUT I took the shuttle into Denali- only option I recommend. For clairfication- I assume your trip starts 5-27?? I wouldn't plan on Denali Park being all the way open then. They open gradually and gain more distance every day. I wouldn't plan on being IN Denail Park before June 1.
Old January 18th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Admiral

There are some coupon booklets at the cruise terminal Vancouver and Seward for shopping coupons, mostly in Ketchikan. Also the Ketchikan visitor guide last year had some coupons. Otherwise this is not a "coupon area".
Old January 18th, 2002, 02:13 PM
First Mate

Karen,
We are locked in to our dates now, but could bump the denali part back a few days although I would like to do that first if possible in case the weather is better. If we go up there and it is bad and/or we can't get into the park past the 30 mile point, we could still come back on 5/31-6/1 (our cruise leaves 6/2), but that entails more driving or not seeing something else. Every site or person up there I talk to has had different info on the road opening dates! Thanks for replying. The book may still be good idea.
Old January 18th, 2002, 09:55 PM
Passenger

Hi Karen. Re this book, you said BUT you took Denali Shuttle which I assume means using a coupon for that made purchase worthwhile? Are you referring to the shuttle inside the park, e.g. to Eeilson Visitor Center or a shuttle from Anchorage? Were there any restrictions on days or dates for shuttle? I thought you had to reserve in advance for the shuttles into the park. Thanks for any information.
Old January 21st, 2002, 08:24 AM
Admiral

The opening dates will change daily. they are determined on the present road conditions, they get farther into the park every day- BUT if it snows, heavy rain- all are factors in how far they get. As I said- June 1 is a good date to consider- usually not open far enought much before that date, you are shortchanging yourself with any less.
Old January 21st, 2002, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Didi wrote:
>
> Hi Karen. Re this book, you said BUT you took Denali Shuttle
> which I assume means using a coupon for that made purchase
> worthwhile? Are you referring to the shuttle inside the
> park, e.g. to Eeilson Visitor Center or a shuttle from
> Anchorage? Were there any restrictions on days or dates for
> shuttle? I thought you had to reserve in advance for the
> shuttles into the park. Thanks for any information.

The shuttle is not one of the coupons- the TOUR bus is, I would not consider going on the tour bus because- it is $70+, goes to mile 53, can't get off the bus and catch a later one, compared to the shuttle to Eielson- $23 last year, can stay at Eielson mile 66 and catch any later bus.