Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2002, 01:52 PM
KennyG

Default skagway white pass train

can anyone tell me the advantages of taking the train in skagway over the white pass, versus taking the motorcoach over the same trip , we will be going to alaska the 3rd of august on the sea princess..... thanks , KennyG
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Passenger

Default Re: skagway white pass train

Have been reading alot of boards and everyone suggests that you take rail up and coach down since you will be able to stop more and different route. So we just booked our excursion that way - we will be going June 7th so will have to wait and see. Happy cruising. Marcia
Old March 16th, 2002, 02:04 PM
KennyG

Default Re: Re: skagway white pass train

thanks marcia, we've thought that might be best also but didnt have any definite information from someone who had been there , if you hear any good tips on other places, such as juneau or sitka, send me a note if you would thanks again ...KennyG
Old March 16th, 2002, 07:13 PM
samplecd

In Juneau I booked with Orca whale watching tours. It is $100 plus tax per person and you are on the water for 3.5 hrs. Its a great thing cuz you cant book it on the boat and they only allow 23 passengers per ship sailing so no crowding. They also guarantee you will see wildlife.
the web site is
www.alaskawhalewatching.com

Cynthia

Old March 16th, 2002, 10:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Heard from a lady that went last year. She preferred the train, round trip, said to sit on the left side going up because they will have you switch once you reach the Summit. Said the view going up is breathtaking and so try to sit on the left. Sounds great!
Old March 18th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Admiral

I have done all of the above tours. A combo trip on the RR and bus would give you both options, but the summit is far more scenic by rail. A major reason to take the train is for the history and views. Be sure to stop at the park service visitor center- I find the pm train preferable- less mist.
Old March 25th, 2002, 11:21 PM
snickers

I am confused. In the Princess literature on the excursions offered, there is a
Yukon Expedition and White Pass Rail which says you ride up in bus and back down on train.

The White Pass Scenic Railway goes train both ways but you miss out on the Yukon Expedition part.

Where is the tour that Princess provides that goes us by train and back down by bus for 2002? I may have missed it in the brochure and would like to do it that way if possible.
Old March 29th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Please help me out!
What is the Yukon Expedition part?
Thanks.....
Old March 30th, 2002, 11:26 PM
Dwain

Default Re: Re: Re: skagway white pass train

I think you are correct. Those are the two listed (F & G) and it appears there is more to the difference between the two than just the bus & train vs. just the train. The Yukon Expedition "appears" to go "beyond the White Pass summit" although its not really clear. We will be in Skagway via the Star Princess on July 2.
We are leaning towards taking the round trip train. Seems to be the most senic, shortest amount of time and cost less, besides we like trains!
Old April 5th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Jrm

I was just browsing and saw the note and wanted to respond since we took Princess to Alaska last June. Regarding the Yukon expedition, you take a motor coach from Skagway all the way out to the Yukon Territory along the Klondike Highway. The scenery is incredible as you will see the actual "Trail of 98" used on the the way to the Yukon Territory. You are actually running parallel to the White Pass train. The difference is that you will stop and get out of the bus so that you can take pictures. Also, you will pass the smallest desert in the world in Carcross in the Yukon Territory. After leaving Carcross, you will be taken to the rail station to pick up the train at the northermost point. The train will then take you back to Skagway. Again the sights are unbelievable. The total tour is about 8 hours in length. It was well worth the money and highly recommend it.
Old May 10th, 2002, 10:04 PM
Angie

We''ll be doing the southbound on the Star Princess on May 18. Cannot decide whether to take the roundtrip train ride in Skaway or do the motorcoach to whitehorse & back in the train. Can someone let us know more about the portion beyond the White pass summit. I went to one other board (I cannot find it again) and someone mentioned that there isn't much to see after the white pass summit. Since the coach/train is about 7-8 hours, wonder if it will be too boring for my husband, who is reluctant to come on this cruise with me.

Thank you all for your imput!