Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2002, 11:56 PM
Loriann

Default Ketchikan 4th of July

I'm curious if anyone has experience with Ketchikan on the 4th of July. We will be sailing on the Radiance and will be in port in Ketchikan from 1-8pm. It sounds as if there is quite a bit going on locally, and I'm not sure how worth it those activities are vs tours we might take. (Still trying to decide between Totem Bright SP and Saxman Native Village - curious if SNV is too "touristy", any comments?) I should mention that I'm traveling with my husband and our 5 1/2 and 2 year old children.

Thanks,
Loriann
Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2002, 08:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Ketchikan 4th of July

We were in Ketchikan last 4th of July .They had a parade and the whole city came out to watch.It was interesting seeing how the NATIVES celebrate.The parade was filled with school kids,firemen and all of the typical things that you see in a small town parade.There was also a festival that some of the people in our group went to and they said it was fun.The weather was warm and nice(no rain).This is a very interesting town and I think that the shopping is probaly the best of all the ports.We did the Duck boat tour and it was an interesting excursion without breaking the bank(after helicopters, whale watching etc. We will be doing Alaska again this 4th because we had such a fantastic time but we will be in Ketchican on the 3rd of July..............No parade this year
Have a wonderful trip and you will love Alaska
Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:50 AM
First Mate

I was in Juneau a couple of years ago on the 4th of July. It was really fun to watch the local parade and everyone just having a fun time. Nice to really feel the small town atmosphere, totally different than a "normal" cruise day. This day was for the locals, and we really felt like guests in their home. I would assume that Ketchican would be the same atmosphere.

I have some friends, Bunny and Erin, who are I believe on your cruise. Bunny is visually impaired and Erin is her guide dog. They are featured in this months issue of Cruise Travel magazine so be on the lookout for them aboard ship and around town. They are both special ladies! Tell them "Uncle Doug" says hello

Doug
Old May 2nd, 2002, 12:43 PM
Delores

We went to Alaska in June 1998 on the Rhapsody of the Seas with 2 other couples. It was a great cruise. Ketchikan was beautiful while we were there. It was actually HOT!! We booked a local bus tour (not thru the cruise line) that went to both totem pole villages. That was way too much. I think your kids might be bored with it. We all were. We're going back in September, but don't want to see them again. See one totem pole, you've seen them all!! But if you've never seen any before, then you might like it.
Old May 4th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Admiral

I will be on that cruise with my friend April, my mom Bunny and her dog Erin. Oh sure Doug - you forgot to mention April and myself will also be on that cruise

We are still trying to decide on our excursions. Hopefully will book something this weekend.

We had heard about the parade in Ketchikan and we were also trying to decide which totel pole tour to take.
Old May 13th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Dwain

Default Re: Re: Ketchikan 4th of July

Shelly,
Appreciated reading your comments about the 4th of July parade in Ketchikan. Hate to be picky but what time of the day was the parade. We'd like to see it and would like to schedule our excursions to accomodate the parade. We will be there via the Star Princess.
Thanks again,
Dwain