Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2002, 01:37 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Fieldsband
Default Shore excursions - Alaska

We are going to Alaska on Princess first week in July. Stops will be Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. Any recommendations on which shore excursions are the best? And, any recommendations on booking them independently? I'd prefer to do that than go through the cruise line. Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2002, 07:43 PM
Shanon

Default Re: Shore excursions - Alaska

If your into whale watching we have booked with Orca in Juneau with Captain Larry. We have heard so much about it. We called and booked ourselves. Also, Yukon White Pass Train is a "must do" they say, but called them and they do not like to book ahead of time with cruisers because the cruise lines have already reserved seating so they like you to book thru your cruise. Everyone says not to miss these and if you do take the train the word is "sit on the left going up" sights are great!! Happy cruising, we are doing Carnival Spirit July 17th. Can't wait!!
Old May 3rd, 2002, 12:45 PM
Admiral

We booked the Orca with Captain Larry too. www.alaskawhalewatching.com
I heard it's the best from lots of people!
Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:26 PM
bubblehead

I recommend the Yukon adventure in Skagway, you take a bus into the Yukon Territory the the White pass railroad on the way back. Get Bruce as your bus driver, ask him about leaving people behind he is famous for it and it is a good story.

In Ketchican there are tours at the pier and they are a lot less expensive than with Princess

In Juneau contact Auk-Nu tours for a trip to the Tracy Arm, it is expensive but well worth it. Last year in May early season we saw 20 to 30 whales and other animals. This also goes to the Sawyer Glaciers which are very active and the scenery is stupendous.

We are going in June this year and it is our third trip.
Old May 3rd, 2002, 08:23 PM
greekgal

we booked with capt. larry as well, heard he's the best. His staff-Carol knows everything!!!!!!!!!!
I f you have a question call her. We also booked half day fishing in Ketcican with them.
Old May 4th, 2002, 11:46 AM
dpw

Default Re: Re: Shore excursions - Alaska

We are headed to Alaska on the Radiance of the Seas on June 22nd. The excursions we finally settled on, after much research, Juneau -- Taku Wilderness Lodge and Glacier Flight Adventure (on a float plane), Skagway -- White Pass Scenic Railway, Ketchikan -- Classic Tours in a "55 Chevy". This is about all I can afford but these should give us a great time. Good luck. dpw in Va
Old May 5th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Since you prefer the ship tours, look over the shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. There are just too many recommendations otherwise. I have been on a boatload of tours and would not consider any ship excursions for myself.
Old May 8th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Cathey

I would continue to shop on line. Read the message boards and check out any available web site on shore excursions, cities. I've found two shore excursions we want to take at a 15-20 % discount over cruise lines prices. Skayway - www.shoretrips and Ketchikan - www.taquanair.com or try www.islandwings.com. In Juneau we have not found a trip compatiable to the cruise lines but with the savings from the other 2 the third is almost free. We leave June 15th on Radiance of Sea. This cruisemates has been a great asset. Thank to all who post. Check out all available leads it worth it. Have a great time.
Old May 19th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Shore excursions - Alaska

Cathey,
Thanks for the info on website...We are also cruising on the Radiance on June 15. Does anyone know about the Mendenhall glacier float trip? thanks....
laurie