Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2002, 09:32 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Marie
Default Seeing eagles?

My 89 year old grandmother is going with our family on an inside passage cruise June 13-20. She really wants to see eagles. Do you think eagles will be easy to see from the ship? What other ways can I be sure that she sees eagles? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2002, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Seeing eagles?

Not without spending considerable time out at the front open deck with a good pair of wide angle binoculars. Also from the ship- you will only see "white" dots. Better is to get to Sitka and go to the raptor center. Other option would be to keep looking up in every port for this will offer far closer views.
Old May 21st, 2002, 09:16 AM
Captain

Default Seeing eagles

Yes you can see eagles. As Karen16 said some will be small white dots in the distance, however I have always seen eagles from the ship while on an Alaskan cruise and some very close up. Keep an eye out from the ship especially when coming into or leaving a port. This will be your best chance at a close up view from the ship. You may also see eagles sitting on chunks of ice when you go in to watch the glaciers. If you have a small pair of binoculars to use bring them. You can find mini binoculars for $20 to $30 dollars in sporting goods stores or Walmart and K-Mart.
Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:05 AM
Passenger

Default boat trips

Thanks, we will watch carefully at the ports. I've heard a good place to see them is at the dumps. Has anyone tried that? Unfortunately we won't be stopping at Sitka. Do you think any of the whale watching tours will have good views of the eagles? I was thinking that a boat tour of Chilkat Lake near the eagle preserve would be good. Has anyone done that? Do you think the Chilkat River raft trip is too bumpy for the elderly? I'm eager to see any kind of wildlife!
Old May 25th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Tony & Cheryl

Default Re: boat trips

We went on an Inside Passage cruise in May 1998, and the only thing we really saw was eagles! Lots and lots of them in Ketchikan, hanging around the docks, usually on the roofs of houses. At first I thought they were sea gulls, then I did a double take and realized what they really were! With the zoom lens all the way out on my camera, (210) you can see in the pictures they were eagles. I was very excited. The naturalist on the ship kept telling us over the loudspeaker about whales, but they were so far away I couldn't see them even with binoculars. Some others in our group went on a whale-watching cruise in Juneau. They saw whales, and eagle, and other wildlife - got some great photos. We are going back in the end of June, and this time we've booked the whale watching cruise. This time I'm sure I'll at least see a whale!

Happy Cruising!
Old May 27th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Passenger

Default eagle watching tour

I've found that Northern Lights Charter's Captain Ken has an eagle watching tour out of Ketchikan that will work for us. It's $95 for a 3-4 hour trip to see the eagles.
Old May 27th, 2002, 10:51 AM
eeinusa

Default eagles

We went on an Inside Passage cruise in May 1998, and the only thing we really saw was eagles! Lots and lots of them in Ketchikan, hanging around the docks, usually on the roofs of houses. At first I thought they were sea gulls, then I did a double take and realized what they really were! With the zoom lens all the way out on my camera, (210) you can see in the pictures they were eagles. I was very excited. The naturalist on the ship kept telling us over the loudspeaker about whales, but they were so far away I couldn't see them even with binoculars. Some others in our group went on a whale-watching cruise in Juneau. They saw whales, and eagle, and other wildlife - got some great photos. We are going back in the end of June, and this time we've booked the whale watching cruise. This time I'm sure I'll at least see a whale!

Happy Cruising!
Old May 29th, 2002, 02:18 AM
Joeo

Default eagels

Yes you can see eagles. As Karen16 said some will be small white dots in the distance, however I have always seen eagles from the ship while on an Alaskan cruise and some very close up. Keep an eye out from the ship especially when coming into or leaving a port. This will be your best chance at a close up view from the ship. You may also see eagles sitting on chunks of ice when you go in to watch the glaciers. If you have a small pair of binoculars to use bring them. You can find mini binoculars for $20 to $30 dollars in sporting goods stores or Walmart and K-Mart.

If you want to see Eagels in Skagway get a taxi ( $10.00) and ask Ken (he's the taxi driver) to take you to the town dump. joreme@ucinet.com
Old June 1st, 2002, 10:35 AM
Therese

Default We have just returned...

and we saw Eagles everywhere!!!! they were pretty plentiful in Ketchikan and Juneau.

Therese
Old June 23rd, 2002, 02:05 PM
Cathey

Default Re: We have just returned...

Eagles are every where. The best was Ketchikan. About 20-30 eagles were near the canery as we came in to town. They feed off the water and rest on the rocks. We were in Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau. In Skagway we taped them right from our balcony . I wouldn't waste money on a eagle float trip. We saw more on our own than on a excursion. Have fun and keep your eyes open for the golf balls in the trees (as the locals call them). We just got home early this morning. Alaska beautiful.