Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2002, 09:07 PM
BobP

Default White Pass Railway

Reference the White Pass Train in Alaska. Any recommendations on the best time of day to go? They have morning, early afternoon and late afternoon. I would think morning would have the best wildlife, but is fog a problem? Also - any recommendations on which salmon hatchery to see - Macauley Salmon Hatchery in Juneau or the one in Sitka? These are Royal Caribbean excursions. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Therese

Default Re: White Pass Railway

I'm not sure why, but we were told that the later ones were the better ones. We didn't see any wildlife on our trip.
Old June 13th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: White Pass Railway

We did the morning White Pass and the afternoon Flight over the Glaciers landing at Haines which RCI does not do anymore. We did not see much wildlife, but a tablemate did see a bear in the afternoon trip.
Bon Voyage
Old June 29th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Lamar

Default Re: Re: White Pass Railway

Super trip. Took the early afternoon trip and it was beautiful. You want see much wildlife on this trip. But the sites far outway this. By the way sit on the left side for the best viewing. We took the tour that goes one way on the railroad and the bus back.
Old July 17th, 2002, 08:21 PM
Beginner

Default White Pass Railway

We took the 12:00 pm trip. We didn't see any wildlife and I got the impression that they rarely do. The trip was interesting and very scenic. If you are only doing a cruise, I would recommend it. However, if you are doing a cruise/land package that includes a trip on the Midnight Express, I would skip the White Pass trip. You will get better views on the Midnight Express.

Reference the White Pass Train in Alaska. Any recommendations on the best time of day to go? They have morning, early afternoon and late afternoon. I would think morning would have the best wildlife, but is fog a problem? Also - any recommendations on which salmon hatchery to see - Macauley Salmon Hatchery in Juneau or the one in Sitka? These are Royal Caribbean excursions. Thanks for any help!