Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Passenger

Default Getting from Seattle to Vancouver port

We are going on the Celebrity Infinity on June 28 and are flying into and out of Seattle. How should I get from downtown Seattle to the port of Victoria? Also, we will be spending a day after the cruise in Vancouver - any recommendations on getting from downtown Vancouver to SEA airport? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2002, 09:24 AM
GMurray

Default Re: Getting from Seattle to Vancouver port

Rick,

There is a service direct from Seattle Pier to Victoria Daily- Its a high Speed service, not the Washington State Ferries or alternatively,if you have a car-you can drive to Port Angeles-across from Victoria and take the COHO Ferry.

Coming back -there is an airporter bus from Vancouver direct to Seattle Airport.

Have a safe trip

GM
Old June 10th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Getting from Seattle to Vancouver port

Hi Bard,
You may find some helpful information at this site about Vancouver, I know I've found some good tips:

http://www.virtualvancouver.com/

Would love to hear about your Infinity cruise, will be on same cruise in Aug, have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 13th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Passenger

We took QuickShuttle (www.quickshuttle.com) directly from the Seattle airport to the Canada Place port in Vancouver. It's convenient, but rather slow. I wish we had taken Amtrak instead.
Old June 13th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Admiral

We took a flight on Air Canada to Vancouver and return. At the time it was less than $100 pp and affored us the extra time to tour Vancouver and make a mid-day flight back to New England.
Old June 13th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Getting from Seattle to Vancouver port

Hey Nanatravel,
We are doing the same, even flying on Air Canada. Anything tips for us? When did you do this cruise and how is security handled in Vancouver?? We have a return flight at 11:10 and providing we do get off the ship early, was there any hang ups at the airport? Also how did you like flying Air Canada?

for any tips/advise :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 19th, 2002, 10:17 PM
Laura J

I just got back from Mercury cruise (June 9-16)...we flew into Seattle. Took a shuttle from the airport to pier 69 where we caught the Victoria Clipper over to Victoria. We were on the last Clipper trip of the day 3:15 pm...it takes 2 1/2 hours and docks right in the Inner Harbor at Victoria. The Clipper is on the web...I think Victoriaclipper.com - I made reservations for it online - was about $77. US per person. We were very pleased...nice boat with room to walk around.

We spent 2 nights in Victoria...had one full day of beautiful sunshine. Went on a whale watching trip (Zodiac boat with Seafun Safari)...so much fun! We definitely could have used an extra day or two to see everything in Victoria. It was a wonderful place and the US $ is so strong there...really a bargain for the US tourists!

Sunday morning, we took Pacific Coach Lines Bus (station behind the Empress Hotel )at 10:00 to Vancouver. It also was very nice...we were pleasantly surprised. It's very reasonable (maybe $34. pp Canadian)...charge it on a credit card and you'll be charged the US equivalent. The bus gets on the BC Ferry for an hour and a half. It was super....wonderful scenery - like a warm-up to the cruise, because you can roam around all over the very nice ferry (even eat a meal if you want!) The bus dropped us off right at Canada Place port...they even checked our luggage straight through to the ship, so we didn't have to handle it again!

Return trip to Seattle, we booked a car through Avis. One way from Hornaby Office to Seatac was only $77. US. I reserved this online and they had a free shuttle from the cruise port to their office several blocks away. We had a nice Pontiac Vibe...were able to tour around Vancouver for the day, then drive to Seattle for the night before our Mon. am flight. Everything was so easy....went just like clock work. If you have any questions you can email me!
Laura J.
Old July 2nd, 2002, 02:54 PM
Barry Gloger

Default Seattle to Vancouver - Time Delay Warning

Many people fly into Seattle a few days early, when cruising Alaska from Vancouver, because Seattle offers many more flights at lower prices and fun things to do while time adjusting to jet lag ( I suggest visiting Mt Rainier (proper name Tacoma), the Experience Music Project and the Museum of Flight). {This nonsense of making us schlepp up to Vancouver or down to Ensenada to sail to Alaska or Hawaii has to end - but that's a different rant.} Thus you end up renting a car which you drop off at Canada Place (the Vancouver Ship Terminal), and from which you pick up your one way rental back to Seattle (SEATAC Airport) upon your return. All the major car rental companies can easily handle this.

Amtrak is no longer running convenient 2 way train service between Seattle and Vancouver; they mostly use buses. In reality for 2 or more people, renting a car at the airport is cheaper than taking public transportation. They say it takes only 3 to 3.5 hours to drive from Seattle to Vancouver, but this must have been in the good old days.

Since 9/11 the border crossing delay at the Peace Arch has become horrendous; expect to wait in line two to three hours and even longer on your return to the US. Bring birth certificates for your young kids or other proof of legal guardianship (ie divorce papers) and a notarized letter from a divorced spouse granting permission to travel to Canada. [Theyíre so worried about child snatching by disgruntled ex-spouses, that I saw people denied entry because they didnít have the proper papers.]

I-5 changes into Route 99 in Canada, which is a highway in name only. Itís under reconstruction and the delays are horrible. Then the last 5 miles you travel through gridlocked city streets. Vancouver is a city built for 250,000, in which 2,500,000 live. Give yourself 7 hours to make the drive, or you risk missing the sailing. On June 21, I left Seattle at 9:00AM; stopped at Chateau Ste. Michelle for a one hour wine tasting, and boarded the the Infinity just before they pulled the gangway for its 5:45PM departure.
Old July 4th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Joy Strathman

Default Re: Seattle to Vancouver - Time Delay Warning

This is SO disheartening to hear! I had no idea it was this bad. Ugh.
Old July 18th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Seattle to Vancouver - Time Delay Warning

Hi Joy,
I would suggest visiting Vancouver, it's a wonderful city with lot to do and see. There is a direct ferry service from Seattle to Vancouver so you are able to avoid many of the construction problems. Vancouver also has an wonderful international airport with direct fights to many Hubs around the US. www.expedia.com will give you an idea of the fares to Vancouver. If you dont' want to sail from Vancouver there are several cruises which leave from Seattle, I know Holland America has recent added a few sailings along the inside passage. If you have never see Vancouver I would suggest you spend a few days there.
Enjoy your trip,
Bruce
Old August 29th, 2002, 01:21 AM
willyum

Default VANCOUVER TO SEATTLE ??

I will be ending a 14day cruise in Vancouver in May, 2003 and will need to get to Seattle to catch the Amtrak back to San Diego. Best way to get there? Bus, rental car ,Ferry ???
P.S. My wife WON'T fly......