Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Beginner

Default Alaska Excursions

Hello, Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on any excursions in
Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan! Thanks so much!

We are trying to decide between the Juneau Icefield and Glacier Flightseeing or the Mendenhall Glacier Helicopter Tour and would love any suggestions.

Post Edited (06-11-02 15:12)
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Captain

Default Re: Alaska Excursions

For my self flying out on a helicopter and landing on the Glacier out of Juneau was great. The views from the helicopter and being able to walk around on the glacier were fantastic. In Ketchikan I have enjoyed a tour of Ketchikan by the harbor and a trip to the Totem parks was nice.
Old June 12th, 2002, 11:17 AM
jq

We just returned from HAL Statendam southbound cruise to same ports. In Juneau, we took the Awsome Orca whalewatching trip with Capt Larry which was great, saw lots of whales, wildlife and a great ride. The Mendenhall Glacier was looking great and a trip out to the glacier on a tour or on the bus would be nice. They do land on the glacier also and it may be worth the expense for the experience.

In Sitka, we took two city tours with the Nat'l Park and russian and native dancer demonstrations, and Sheldon museum. Both tours rushed you around the sites and then you sat on the bus waiting for slowest person. Could see all of this on the transit bus which lets you get on and off all day and take your time.

Ketchikan-- we took the Misty Fjords float plane trip with Island Wings Michelle and her dog. Great trip, fantastic scenery great stop on mirror lake with tiny island where we spent about 20 minutes soaking in the sights and lack of noise. Just the two of us and it was nice. Saxman village is supposed to be nice but we ran out of time since we only had 6 1/2 hrs here and were afraid to get stuck out there.
Old June 13th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Admiral

We took the helicopter tour and landed on Mendenhall Glacier. It was the highlight of our cruise but very frightening. It was rainy but mild, thus it got foggy. The ice is slippery and you all look a like in those yellow slikers and boots. Well some helicoptors could not come back and land to pick up and bring new tourists. They had to wait in the cold for hours before the fog lifted. Obviously I still talk about it. After the tour a self guided walk in Juneau is great. At Ketchican, we did the Saxman Indian Village then walked by ourselves around the back streets and byways of downtown.
Bon Voyage
Old July 3rd, 2002, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Default flights

Hello, Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on any excursions in

Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan! Thanks so much!

We are trying to decide between the Juneau Icefield and Glacier Flightseeing or the Mendenhall Glacier Helicopter Tour and would love any suggestions.

Post Edited (06-11-02 15:12)

In my opinion a glacier helicopter landing is the best of the best tour in Alaska. It also doesn't matter what glacier you land on as they are in a constant state of chance and all spectacular!!!! Mendenhall is just more known and only TEMSCO has permits to land there. I have done this excursion 6 times and my favorite company is Coastal, small very personal service. But do consider going with who fits your schedule best, I most always book my flights for soon after arriving, this allows me an unobstructed block of time to pack in other touring.