Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2002, 11:11 PM
Sarah Stone

Default CruiseTour recommendation-we're new

We are looking for July, Aug or Sept last minute cruise tour, never been to Alaska and starting from scratch.
Is it best to cruise first then tour or reverse?
Are some lines better than others?
Any recommendation on best deals?
What should we stay away from? A
nything we should not miss?
We are looking for the combination of comfortable cruise and adventure.

Sorry for all the questions. But any answers would be very helpful. Thanks much for your time.
Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Captain

Default Re: CruiseTour recommendation-we're new

I have cruised Alaska but never done the tour with a cruise line. I have stayed on land between back to back cruises. The land portion from what I understand can be hectic so many I have talked to say do the land portion first so that you can relax on the cruise after. Princess and Holland have cruised Alaska longer than any other lines but you should look for the line that you think best fits you. I have always done Alaska on Princess and I have never been disappointed yet but thats me.

As far as things to do and see while on the cruise portion, in Juneau I would do a whale watch or a helicopter trip out onto a glacier. Skagway White Pass Railway has some great views to see. Ketchikan the Totem Parks or a Harbor tour are nice. I have also enjoyed kayaking Tatoosh Island in Ketchikan.

Whatever you decide Alaska is a beautiful place to cruise.
Old June 13th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: CruiseTour recommendation-we're new

Hi Sarah,
We're doing the CM Alaska Adventure, first time for Alaska for us, but you may want to check out all the details, the prices are wonderful and there are still a few cabins available, would love to have you join us, its an inside passage round trip from Vancouver on Aug. 30th, so it does fit in your time frame:

http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/...alaska2002.cfm

If you have any questions, just post again or you can e-mail me, not a problem :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 21st, 2002, 10:54 AM
eeinusa

Default Re: Re: Re: CruiseTour recommendation-we're new

We we did a Princess CruiseTour last year - tour first and cruise later. (Before all the anti-cruisetour people jump on me, yes, we paid more, yes our time was limited in some places, and all that stuff. But for a first trip, we were glad we went the tour route.) We did have three days on our own before the tour, so we also did some independent touring in the Anchorage Vicinity.

Our cruisetour took us from Anchorage to the Arctic Ocean - Denali one night, Fairbanks two night, two days on the Dalton (overnighting in Coldfoot and then in Deadhorse) and then fly back to Anchorage to take our 7-day cruise.

We were glad we had two sea days in College Fjord and Glacier Bay after our land touring - rest, relax and recuperation before three days or port calls.

Not sure how much time you might have on your own or where you want to tour, but if you want to send me more details at the email above, I'll be happy to share some of what I considered not to be missed from our 18-day light adventure in Alaska.
Old June 29th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Lamar

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: CruiseTour recommendation-we're new

Just got back from Alaska, on the Legends of the Sea. Had a super time. A few surgessions. By all means spend the extra dollars and get a cabin with balcony. You will not regreat it. The scenery is unbelively. Make sure you go on the yukon pass railroad at Skayway. Go head and book thru the cruise line, that way you are guaranted a seat(s). We also did the Medelhall glacier flost trip at Juneno, lots of fun. Just cruise the city on the other stops. If you are going a cruisetour, take the land portion first. That way you will have the cruise to rest up on. We did it the other way and were very tired when it was over. But still had a geat time and looking forward to doing it again.
Old July 3rd, 2002, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Default last minute

We are looking for July, Aug or Sept last minute cruise tour, never been to Alaska and starting from scratch.

Is it best to cruise first then tour or reverse?

Are some lines better than others?

Any recommendation on best deals?

What should we stay away from? A

nything we should not miss?

We are looking for the combination of comfortable cruise and adventure.

Sorry for all the questions. But any answers would be very helpful. Thanks much for your time.

Since you are looking last minute- try and see if there is a land tour available still in August with the cruise no later than the first week of Sept. You may also want to consider picking up a cheap one way southbound sailing and touring on your own since usually the tours sell out before the ships. Very easy to tour on your own, very well maintained roads- pick up a copy of THE MILEPOST. If you are looking for a bargain this is the way to go- expect savings of at least 50%. You will want to definately look at a south bound trip going August or early Sept for the most options for "good weather" touring. I would first make my choices based on ports time in ports and glacier. Look for bargains as for me what I sail to Alaska for is outside the ship. Check online cruise only agencies- sometimes significant discounts. Check several agencies for comparism. Have FUN!!!!!